How Do I Remove the Main Gear From A Penn 704Z?

Started by nathanbrand, April 24, 2011, 01:55:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nathanbrand

A friend of mine asked me to take a look at his 704Z. He was reeling line onto the spool when it suddenly seized up. He could no longer crank the handle. He said he was doing this under some drag pressure to lay the line on tight. He didn't force it and stopped reeling.

I figured I would disassemble it and grease and lube the reel, and see if that would resolve the problem. I started the disassembly, but I have no idea how to remove the main gear (part #8-704). I thought it would just slide out, but it's not budging. I've never worked on a 704 before, so I didn't want to force it. Does anyone know how this comes out? Am I missing a step? I have the AR switched off.

Some photos and schematic:

Thanks

And Happy Easter.

akfish

Odds are that the main gear is frozen to the hall bearing in the side plate. My recommendation is that you soak the side plate for a while and then gently tap out the gear.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

nathanbrand

Quote from: akfish on April 24, 2011, 02:33:44 PM
Odds are that the main gear is frozen to the hall bearing in the side plate. My recommendation is that you soak the side plate for a while and then gently tap out the gear.

akfish, thanks for the reply.

What should I soak the side plate in? I soaked it overnight in a citrus de-greaser, but that didn't seem to help.

Also, when you say, "gently tap out the gear," how would I go about that? (I've never done that before.)

Thanks

akfish

If I am correct, then you should soak it in something that will get rid of the corrosion that it sticking the gear to the ball bearing. I use Salt-X. you might also try something like PB Blaster. Spray some on the gear, trying to get behind it, and on the handle side where to gear post comes of for attaching the handle. It may take over night. The to tap it out, put the handle side up and lightly tap on the handle post. The gear might come out. Maybe.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Nessie Hunter

I dont see anything in the schematic holding it???   
Not familiar with that reel either!!

Agree with AKfish, it is probably corroded together and just needs some prompting to come out..
The TSI 301 is fast becoming my Fav Penetrating oil...

Saw a recent post here that said home-brew of 50/50 ATF and Acetone proved to be much better then other stuff by a long shot??

I have had a few Spinning reels that have a bad spot when cranked and seem to want to stop at that location...   
I have found that it is the Spool Shaft that moves the Skirt up & Down..   It gets built up crud at the bottom and it tends to try and stop the reel from turning..  Good cleaning & lube should solve it...

Good luck & keep us posted.....

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

nathanbrand

Thanks for the tip akfish: that did the trick.

I soaked the side plate and stuck main gear in warm soapy water,
and that released some of the gunk in there. I then sprayed the area under the main gear
as best I could with Liquid Wrench (lubricant on hand) and after letting it settle in for a couple of
hours, I was able to tap the gear out as proscribed by akfish.

I was then able to grease and lube the 704Z, and it is now nice and smooth and in good working order.