help with ceramic bearings

Started by darius240z, April 24, 2011, 04:11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darius240z

Hello everyone I am new to these forums and just had a quick question.  I will be servicing my penn 525 mag for the first time and I was looking into buying some ceramic spool bearings.  Can I use my TSI 301 lubricant on these bearings?  Or should they be ran dry.  Which is most beneficial for distance casting?  Thanks a lot!

Nessie Hunter

I myself would recommend some type of light lubricant for them..
TSI 301 is what Im using at the moment.
Due to Alan's recommendations..  Seems to work well..
The need for a lube is mainly due to rust. 
The Races are still S/S in the Hybrid Bearings & will rust eventually...

I do a lot of Upgrades to the #7 ceramic spool bearings..
Dont be surprised if you have a little rattle at first????   
Dont have any idea why, but they seem to need a break in of a couple of dozen 'or more' casts to smooth out or seat & get a little faster and quieter?????

I think Alan had a much faster oil he used, but didnt last more then a couple of outings.. 
See his Lubrication post/thread????   
If you just want SUPER CASTING, with more frequent service...

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

alantani

before you spend the money on ceramic bearings, try cleaning out the stainless steel bearings you already have and give them another shot.  you might be amazed at what a good cleaning will do for you. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

darius240z

Quote from: alantani on April 24, 2011, 11:04:14 PM
before you spend the money on ceramic bearings, try cleaning out the stainless steel bearings you already have and give them another shot.  you might be amazed at what a good cleaning will do for you. 

That sounds like a good idea, I may try that.  Only problem is I can't seem to get the shields off the 525 mag spool bearings!  Having a difficult time because they're so small :(

alantani

yup, they can be a real pain.  if they have pressed in metal shields, get a sharper pointed awl.  if it has a retaining ring, try a smaller hook with a sharper point.  
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Pro Reel

Unless you are trying to get the absolute maximum casting distance posible, there is no need to buy ceramic hybrids. They are not corosion resistent because part of the bearing is still made from stainless steel. For bass fishing casting reels, ceramic hybrids can give you that extra 5 yds that can help a bunch when pitching small lures. If you do try ceramic hybrids, Don't use TSI 301 or any other dry type lube. I have tried the TSI and the Extreem reel + in ceramic hybrids and found that they actuall slow them down. After talking to my sales rep at Boca bearings we came to the conclusion that those type of lubes may not be able to bond to the ceramic balls and actually gum them up. The best free spin you can get with ceramic hybrids will be to use them dry on the inside. Just wipe the outside with a light oil or give it a quick spray with a can of spray oil. If you want them to last as long as posible. or if they will be used around salt at al, they must be oiled on the inside also. Use a small amount of a light oil such as yellow rocket fuel.

Alto Mare

That sounds like a good idea, I may try that.  Only problem is I can't seem to get the shields off the 525 mag spool bearings!  Having a difficult time because they're so small :(
[/quote]

Check  under tools at the home page, I'm showing some tools that I use. I know that those bearings are small and that most of them come with the pressed in shield ,but you should still be able to get them open. ;)

It's under working on bearings.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

darius240z

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 25, 2011, 12:34:05 PM

Check  under tools at the home page, I'm showing some tools that I use. I know that those bearings are small and that most of them come with the pressed in shield ,but you should still be able to get them open. ;)

It's under working on bearings.
[/quote]

Thanks a lot, Alto.  I'm actually about to head out to my HF right now to pick a set of those up :)