What is the best solution for corrosion removal?

Started by wailua boy, February 14, 2017, 06:58:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wailua boy

I've used vinegar before with decent results. What do guys think is best? Also what works best for restoring the side plates from some of the older penn conventionals? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Reel 224

I would say vinegar solution and simple green. Vinegar for metal and simple green for the Bakelite side plates.

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

RowdyW

Simple Green will not restore your plates only clean the grunge off of them. The only solution I have found is polishing compound and a buffing wheel to get some of the luster back.                   Rudy

Midway Tommy

:o I haven't tried it yet because I try to avoid anything that's been subjected to salt water but if you're working on an isolated area of verdigris or corrosion film and don't want to disassemble the entire reel they say pasting on some ketchup, letting it sit over night, wipe it off and polishing with x-fine steel wool gets amazing results.  ??? The density holds it in place, vinegar does the cleansing and steel wool the polishing. FYI, it will turn brass a copper color, therefore the steel wool followup.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mo65

Thanks for the tip Tommy...hadn't heard that one yet.  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Wolli

can not understand why the side rings and frame posts are not made from stainless steel.
love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

RowdyW

Quote from: Wolli on February 14, 2017, 06:15:59 PM
can not understand why the side rings and frame posts are not made from stainless steel.
They are now on the Penn Chinese reels.

oc1

The disappointing thing is that after using acid and steel wool or polishing compound, the reel is more vulnerable to corrosion than it was before.  Cleaning it up before putting it on the shelf is probably a good idea.  But, if the reel is going back out into the ocean that may not be the best thing to do.  Removal or thinning of the plating by polishing is going to make corrosion worse in the future.  The verdigris is basic (high pH) and provides some protection from continued oxidation.  I am wondering if just greasing the surface would not be a better approach.

Side plate weathering is also an oxidation process.  The plasticizers are broken down.  Again, the oxidized surface is providing some protection the against further degradation.  Something like Armor All or 303 Aerospace might help.  Rubbing it down with oil or grease might do the same thing.
-steve

sdlehr

Quote from: oc1 on February 14, 2017, 08:14:18 PM
Something like Armor All or 303 Aerospace might help.  Rubbing it down with oil or grease might do the same thing.
-steve
I've used Armor All with good results, but I don't regularly use anything on a side plate that could cause it to swell unless I'm convinced that the swelling would not cause a new problem. This can particularly be a problem with the 149 and some of the Senator models where swollen side plates cause cracked trim rings.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Reel 224

Sid: I was curious as to what would cause the swelling of the plates, I hope it wasn't simple green.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

wailua boy

oc1

Side plates can swell with the reel sitting on a shelf for a few decades.  I would not be surprised if humidity has something to do with it. Supposedly, bakelite can take up moisture.  But, this is not to say that soaking in simple green would not speed things along.
-steve

exp2000

Reel 224

akfish

I soak corroded parts in Salt-x, diluted to about 6:1. It works well and is non-toxic.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska