Mystery Reel

Started by KenBlue, February 18, 2017, 07:06:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KenBlue

From my "sick reels" box comes this one with the click spring broken.  labelwith manufacturers name is missing.  Only  info is "model HD" on the bridge and "Made in U.S.A. Patd" on side plate.  Innards are not familiar to me (I am new at this) but are not Pennish.  Can anybody suggest a possible manufacturer?  Spool is brass.  No star drag???

reel man

mizmo67

Inside is very distinctive. Someone here will probably recognize it.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

thorhammer

I won't bet on the make but will bet on Mr Oakes to identify in the next 24 hours, that bridge is probably in his head line a fingerprint file.  My guess is Pfluegar.

Tightlines667

Looks a bit like a J.A. Coxe or maybe a trade reel.  Kopf bridge there.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

sdlehr

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

foakes

First suspicions would be Pflueger, Montague, or an early Malleson, since Montague bought out Malleson in 1899.

If we look at the stand and the Shift lever -- it is not OC to my knowledge.

Might be a Koph -- but my knowledge of those is very limited -- so the experts such as Mike, Ted, Ray, John,  and others would have better judgements than me.  These guys would know differences in screw heads, rivets, stand, levers, shift mechanisims, and bridges.  The fact that it likely had a metal emblem glued in place -- that is missing -- also opens the possibility of being a trade reel from one of the earlier reel manufacturers such as those listed above.

Early reel because no star drag -- unique shift lever, bridge plate and stand -- all used by Pflueger, Montague, Malleson, and maybe Shakespeare.

A shot of the head side with the handle would be helpful -- plus the underside of the foot.

Just went to the outer shop -- and looked through a bunch of old reels slated for the lamp project.

Pulled some Pfluegers, and a JACoxe on the far right.

Best Always,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.