Jig Master Conversion

Started by Limey, April 25, 2011, 08:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey

Hello Limey from the UK here.

A quick question: I can get hold of a Jig Master 500 cheaply enough but can it be converted to a 506HS and at what cost?

I'm guessing a new reel foot and cross bars are required but can the 4:1 gears be swapped for the 5:1 version and is the spool hard to get hold of or common with other models? The 506HS is not at all common on these shores.

Tight lines

Limey

Alto Mare

No you can't convert a 500 to a 506, you could but not worth it . When you all done buying the  parts for the 506 it would have been cheaper  just bying the 506 already assembled. The only thing these reels have in common is the bridge, yoke, jack and eccentric, everything else is different. you could get yourself the 5:1 gears from ChakBait.com and I also recommend the stainless steel gear sleeve from Alan.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

honestly, the narrowed 500 (aka 501) really is a great reel.  the bushing are nearly zero maintenance.  just need a little lube once in a while. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Alan is right, the 501 are nice little reels. Try to find one on Ebay already assembled, if you buy a standard 500 and looking to convert it to a 501 the frame and spool alone can cost you over $100. Maybe you'll run into one of my favorite reel, The 99 ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

intili

Limey, I have a 506HS, rebuilt with parts form Alan, upgraded drags, stainless gear sleeve, oversize 3 position power handle from penn, all stainless steel screws, PM me if you are interested, jintili@embarqmail.com

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Limey

Many thanks for the replies.

Tight Lines all.

Limey