Penn 9/0 Rebuild Question - Star / top of drag stack

Started by wsenti, February 20, 2017, 01:03:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wsenti

Hi:

I recently serviced and re-built an older 9/0. This is a reel with the felt at the top with the metal seal. It seems that as I tighten down the star on the gear sleeve it leaves too much room and thus never any pressure on the drag. I read the schematic for this and they stated that part 8A and 9 are not to be included as with the newer models.

I took this reel apart a while ago, switched out parts, bought some new, and now it's back together finally.

What are your thoughts? I have a 3rd pic with the star and some spare parts I have for 9/0 that I was thinking about using to solve this issue.

Thanks for any help.

handi2

I have the correct part you need to do it right and it will look much better. I dont have a picture to show you. I call it a "top hat" washer.

Just PM me your address and I will send you one.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Three se7ens

This is what the top hat looks like that youre missing.

Alto Mare

With the correct spacer and tension spring, your 9/0 should work properly...if you had to.  The 9/0 doesn't come with a top-hat, but as the guys have mentioned it is a much better choice using one. A delrin right under it does wonders moving the star under load.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

steelhead_killer

Is that a Penn Part?  If so, what is the part number.  If not, how does one order them?

Thanks!

Andy
><)))">

Alto Mare

Quote from: steelhead_killer on February 20, 2017, 02:48:27 AM
Is that a Penn Part?  If so, what is the part number.  If not, how does one order them?

Thanks!

Andy
Penn part #136-114
Easily obtainable on the big auction site.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

wsenti

Thanks for the input. What options do I have if I don't purchase this part for allowing the star to put pressure on the drag stack when fully down?

Alto Mare

Quote from: wsenti on February 20, 2017, 12:23:40 PM
Thanks for the input. What options do I have if I don't purchase this part for allowing the star to put pressure on the drag stack when fully down?

I need to see what you have in your gears, you are only showing the outer parts.
At the moment I'm upgrading one for a member, here is the layout of the washers before my upgrades.

The reel was working fine with the stock washer with the felt on it, he wanted more drags, second dog and some other goodies.

Sal

Dominick

Andy go back and read the posts.  Handi (Keith) said he generously would send you one and everyone is ignoring him.  Even you Sal. Fai attenzione.  dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

steelhead_killer

I read it.  I just don't want to use up my reel karma on a part that is easily obtainable for a little $.  Plus the offer was made to another member.  Just sayin...  ;D ;D

Andy
><)))">

thorhammer

I'll check; may have one. A lot has been paid forward to me so I'm a fan of paying forward on that karma. Sal and Dominick being two of many that have helped me out.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Dominick on February 20, 2017, 04:59:28 PM
Andy go back and read the posts.  Handi (Keith) said he generously would send you one and everyone is ignoring him.  Even you Sal. Fai attenzione.  dominick
Sorry I didn't see it, didn't mean to ruffle your feathers old man :-* Keith knows I don't ignore him ;)

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

mo65

I'm thinkin' I should use this top hat pressure plate on the 6/0 I'm going to restore...it also has the short spacer and a few wave washers. I'd also like to slip the delrin in there too...what's the size needed? 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Shark Hunter

That Andy is a Humble Guy.
I tried to give him am insert and he would have nothing of the like.
It is on the way to him.
When somebody here gives me something. I appreciate it very much.
Sometimes, it is beyond your control.
I just chalk it up and pay it forward.
The way it was meant to be. ;)
Now unruffle your feathers Dominick.
You are among Friends.
You have been kind of testy lately.
I think you need a Hug. :-*
Life is Good!