Shimano Cardiff 300A

Started by JasonF, February 21, 2017, 03:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonF

Hey guys.  I was given a new Cardiff.  Im going to put it on a Teramar swim bait rod.  I tried searching in the forum but couldn't find the answers that I was looking for.  I have not opened it up yet, but was wondering, how similar is this reel to the inner workings of the Calcuttas?  I was going to upgrade the drag washers but noticed that Smooth Drags does not offer them for this reel?  Hmm.  Are there any other must-do upgrades for these reels?  Thanks!

Lunker Larry

Cardiff is OK for small baits but doesn't come close to a calcutta. I have two of them and personally don't like them. MY opinion remember. Just don't like their feel.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

alantani

the rebuild is similar.  you can get a drag kit from dawn at smoothdrag.  get some cal's grease as well.  to tear down the reel, it's basically straight in, straight out.  the thumb bar has to be in the "up" position and the kick lever has to be in the "down" position when you put the side plate together, just like the calcutta. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

JasonF

I spoke to Dawn to order drag washers and she said that they are the same as those in a Calcutta 100.....those are a bit small for a 300 sized reel IMO!

handi2

That's right. Only 2 I believe.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL