Digital Calipers

Started by Alto Mare, April 25, 2011, 10:33:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

I'm getting ready to measure some bearings, I have an older measuring ruler with brass inserts that has been great for measuring outer dimentions on anything, but can't get to the inner part of the bearings with it. I was going to purchase a digital caliper, is this good enough as far as accuracy? :Accuracy: ± 0.02 mm/ 0.001 in. (<100 mm), ±0.03 mm/ 0.001 in. (>100 – 150 mm) . Thanks! Sal 

How much should I be looking to spent for one?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Norcal Pescador

Sal,
Twenty bucks at Harbor Freight! ;D  Reads to .001 metric or inches.
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Alto Mare

Good ole H F,didn't know they where that reasonable, thanks Rob I'll go grab one there. ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

i'm using mine constantly!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Nessie Hunter

H F has them on sale often for $14 or so....  Cen-Tech  brand....

Mine works close enough to order parts..........
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Alto Mare

[Mine works close enough to order parts..........
[/quote]

Good to know, one of my concerns was  the accuracy. Thanks guys!

broadway

Hey Sal,
Got mine from amazon $13 free shipping, and I agree they are accurate enough to order parts.
Dom

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Nessie Hunter on April 26, 2011, 03:37:37 PM
Mine works close enough to order parts..........

As one of my co-workers used to say, "Close enough for the girls we go out with." ;D
Rob

Alto Mare

As one of my co-workers used to say, "Close enough for the girls we go out with." ;D
[/quote]

Rob, I thought it was " Not enough " ;D

Hogginhank

I found a pretty good deal on these calipers at vxb bearing. When I order bearings and it is over $50 the shopping cart will pull up an "Offer" screen for these for about $7. I think I remember ordering around $70 or $80 worth of the 10 bearing sleaves kits and they were FREE. Not sure if any of ya'll have used vxb bearing but they have a pretty good selection of ABEC 3 on up to ABEC 9 bearings, ceramic hybrids and full ceramics as well. I don't usually buy the high dollar bearings so the $3 bearings work well for all of my own reels since I service them on a regular basis. I have also got bearings from RCbearings.com( I think thats the site??) They sell most of them as individual bearings but they prices are really good and the shipping is cheap. Just thought I'd throw out some good info since everyone else on here always seems to FILL my favorites on my computer with good websites  ;D  Adios' for now..Hank

alantani

there is one made of mostly plastic.  i got one of those for "free" and it caused more trouble than it was worth.  the guys at bocabearings just sent me their house brand calipers and they're really nice! 

http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-inventory/18968/calipersteeldigital-tools

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Hogginhank

I must have got lucky because the 3 that I have received were all like the one from Boca. They were listed at about $30 as well.

kamuwela

dont remember the cost but i got one exactly like that from lowe's. home depot sell's them too. no h.f. in hawaii

JGB

Picked mine up from HF and a couple of freebies from VBX when I ordered some 10packs of bearings. One thing that is worth looking for is a caliper that has a auto shutoff when not in use. The HF calipers need to be manually turned off or they will use up the battery. At $1.50 a pop the batteries will out price the caliper in a year or two. Auto shut off units seem to last me at least 6 months on a battery. As far as the quality they all seem to be specked at +/- .0005" accuracy. The cheaper ones are not a smooth and need to be used awhile before they get smooth.

Jim N.

Norcal Pescador

Also check to see if caliper turns itself on when the sliding jaw moves ever so slightly. Mine does so I use the screw lock on top of the body to make sure it won't come on by itself. I went through a couple of batteries before I figured out why.
Rob