Asking for some Assistance

Started by mo65, February 22, 2017, 03:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Hey folks...I have a question that someone with some 6/0 spools on hand could answer. I want to know the weight of the #29L-114 aluminum spool. I'm wondering if it's very much lighter than the old chrome spool? ???
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

sdlehr

Mo, I checked, I don't have but 3-piece and chromed brass one-piece spools for the 114. Do you need the weight of a 3-piece chromed spool? Also, because of spool shaft design differences, the 114 and 114h will have slightly different weights.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

RowdyW

I don't have a scale to weigh them but there is a difference in weight between all 114's with a chrome spool and aluminum spools. You don't need a scale to tell the difference. I don't see a need for the chrome spool for other then restoration. I just bought a used 114H with a aluminum spool with wire line on it & not a mark on it from the wire. If you ever heft two 114's one with a chrome spool and the other with an aluminum spool, you would probably figure that the one with the chrome spool would make a good spare boat anchor. JMO  ;D  114 6/0 & 114H weigh about the same with the same type of spool in either.        Rudy

mo65

Hi Sid. I have the chromed spool, I was going to weight it later if I could get a weight on the aluminum spool. I'm referring to the older black plate 6/0 spools...but...I'm betting there is very little if any difference on the 114H aluminum spool. The only difference is spool shaft ends, one for ball bearings, the other for bushing bearings. If someone has a 114H aluminum they could weigh that would work just fine!  8)

While I was answering Sid...Rudy posted. Thanks Rudy...you're saying exactly what I was suspecting. I figured the weight difference was even more pronounced in these bigger reels than it is in the small Penns. If I decide to fish this 6/0...I will need to be able to lob a bait out there without the spool continuing to spin for a week! I'm betting the aluminum spool is much easier to control than this chromed bronze inertia monster!  :D

thorhammer

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

RowdyW

Mo, I would say you would need a glove or some leather under your thumb when casting that big of a reel because you will be using some serious weight on the end of that line. Even an aluminum spool is going to be a task to control but not impossible.

Bill B

I could only imagine the amount of magnets needed to slow that chromed behemoth down   :o :o.....may not be very productive but sure would be interesting.....
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Gfish

I'mna guess, a 5oz. Difference between chrome vs. aluminum spools. Got The 6/0HL Al. But no scale to weigh it. hmmm, might be a thing to get as I'm kinda measurement tool oriented.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

RowdyW

Quote from: TARFU on February 22, 2017, 06:54:27 PM
I could only imagine the amount of magnets needed to slow that chromed behemoth down   :o :o.....may not be very productive but sure would be interesting.....
Probably would need one of those electro magnets from a scrapyard.  ;D

mo65

Quote from: RowdyW on February 22, 2017, 06:24:02 PM
Mo, I would say you would need a glove or some leather under your thumb when casting that big of a reel because you will be using some serious weight on the end of that line. Even an aluminum spool is going to be a task to control but not impossible.

For sure Rudy...casting this reel would be brutal. I should have explained my situation better...what I'm calling lobbing is just that. I'd only be tossing off a catwalk or pier into the river. Probably not enough to burn a thumb...but definitely enough to spin a big birds nest! More realistically...I'll probably use this reel on the boat. Most realistically? I'll prolly never get it out the house...but it will be "Feesh Ready"!  8)

RowdyW

Well Mo if you take it fishing with your buddies you'll be able to say "mine's bigger then yours"

sharkman

Don't have a scale but there is a huge difference. My 6/0 wide with aluminum spool is much lighter than regular 6/0 with chrome spool.

sdlehr

I found a 114h aluminum spool I could weigh, but it has line on it.... :(

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Keta

I am getting ready to go out of town, if you do not get a weight by next Tuesday I will weigh the ones I have.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain