Penn 185

Started by Gman_WC, April 26, 2011, 06:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gman_WC

I've got an old 185 (Not a SeaBoy) that has a brown with black plastic spool. It looks fairly old. Is there any way to date it?
There is no star drag on it. Was the star left off or did they come this way?
Thanks - gary
Walnut Creek, CA

Norcal Pescador

Gary -
If it's an old 185, it was the Baymaster. Check out the link:   https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/ReelSpecs/PennBaymaster.aspx#specs

Is this what you've got?

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Gman_WC

I was looking at the same link when I did a search on Penn 185 before posting. That is what I have.
I'm curious as to it's date and why it has no drag or anything to regulate it?
On the right side, top lift is a small circle with:
Penn
No 185
Made in USA
Pat 'D

I spotted it at a garage sale about 20 years ago and it followed me home for $5.
Put it on a trout rod and was fooling around bouncing a dead squid off Albion/Elk
when a 20lb ling did a dine and dash on me that resulted in a knuckle buster when my hand slipped
of the tiny handle. It got me good.
Walnut Creek, CA

Norcal Pescador

Gary,
It is a certified, bonafide knucklebuster. Look at the parts list and schematic at PennParts and you'll see no drag washers. The model 80 was the same way. The hot setup back in the day (although I wasn't around in those days) was a leather thumb pad that attached to a post (part #37) to press on the spool. That was your drag. If, or when, you got your spool stopped, the reel was flipped in gear to spool in. Of couse you could always wear a heavily padded glove to save your knockles. ;D  Date? Probably in the 40's.
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD