Tasmanian Swordfish Season Underway

Started by Rothmar2, February 28, 2017, 11:38:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothmar2

Yesterday was one of those days where a snap decision to give up commitments (that you know you shouldn't) to live a little pays off big-time.
   I have been under the pump with a boat repair I'm doing for someone over the last couple of weeks, and the constant laying and sanding of fibreglass was wearing a bit thin.
   On the fishing front, we have had a good start to our season, plenty of good sized school bluefin to play with, along with a scattering of albacore. But the real stars had been the sharks, heaps of makos, with  a fair helping of 200+kg models to test your skill and nerve on. The deep water reef fishing has also been exceptional on suitable days where the weather has allowed trips out to the shelf.
   Unfortunately, I had missed this great start due to poor weather on spare time days, family and work commitments, and a rather unfortunate accident with a screwdriver.
   Finally I got the call from Leo, skipper of the "Choonachasa" that a sword mission was on. There had been a couple of smoked electrics, and an unconfirmed capture over the previous week. Leo had already had several attempts in various locations for a sword, but no luck so far.
   We launched from the Tuna Club of Tasmania ramp just before 6am and headed straight for the shelf. We pulled up just shy of the drop-off to put a spread of tuna lures out. The 500 Jigmaster I have done the project on was along for the ride, and we had barely gone 1/2 a mile when it goes off.

A short fight and Simon has a "sea-rat" striped tuna on board. The first fish for this reel since the project. We reset, and barely go a couple of hundred metres and pull another sea-rat, a twin of the first. We are now on the drop off, and its lines in while we sound around. The scatter layer is still quite shallow, but quite distinct, and we eventually start to see some "bait" down deep in 480m of water. Looks as good a spot as any to drop a bait down. The first couple of drops go untouched. But on the 3rd drop the balloon breaks off and we are on. We have a junior angler, 15 y/o Oscar on board, and it's his strike. Whatever it is, it doesn't do much, and Oscar steadily winds most of the 600-odd metres of line back onto the big Penn Inter. We have about a third of the 70m of 37kg topshot back on the reel, then the line goes slack.....bugger!
Upon inspection of the bait and leader, it's obvious it was a shark of some sort. Holes all through the big squid bait, and a bit of a slice through the 400lb fluorocarbon leader.
   We decide to move a few k's south and try another mark where we have had success in the past.
   This looks very promising, much denser scatter layer at 250m, and a stack more bait near the bottom.
  The bait is out for only 30mins, and we are on. Oscar takes the rod, and gets to work.

The line begins to angle up rapidly, and sure enough moments later, a distant splash, then another, "Sword"!
  Our excitement level goes up. The deck is cleared, and gaffs and block and tackle ready'd. Its certain to be big enough for the National, State and Club Junior 37kg line class record. We get the top-shot on the reel, and bump the drag up a notch. We expect to fish to dive soon, but it doesn't happen. Oscar does a great job in keeping the Sword's head up and keeping the fish with 50m of the boat. There are some violent head shakes being transmitted up the line. The fish suddenly charges to the surface, and we get two classic jump shots on the Sony Cams. This   Sword is a real performer! We get the leader shortly after, it plays up, but we hang on, a flyer goes in, then a fixed. We hang on, and get the Sword in the cockpit. High fives all around. First GFAA legal capture for the Tassie season.

It would later weigh 112.8 kg (248lbs).

We get the sword covered up after photos and a few excited phone calls are made, and decide we have time to have another drop. I'm given strike honours.
  We go straight back to where we hooked Oscar's fish, and send another squid bait down. 10mins later, on again!
   This one is strange. Doesn't do much, and we all agree it's probably another shark. Or is it? There's direction changes going on, but I get most of the line back on the reel without losing any, while whatever it is, manages to remain just out of sight. I drop into low gear, and manage to inch the fish closer. We soon get a look, it's another sword! The leader is within reach, and Leo takes a wrap, but suddenly wishes he hadn't! It's like a bomb has gone off! The fish goes berserk, and Leo luckily doesn't get tangled in the leader as the fish bolts, jumps away from us as if to say "(12 y/o rule!)" and tries to dive. I want to release this fish, quickly, and bump the drag up on the lever, and also apply extra pressure through my gloved hand. I stop the fish from getting no more than the top-shot off the reel. The fight has now gone right up a notch. I continue to gain bit by bit, only to lose it again over the next half hour.

There's head shakes, multiple changes in direction, that has me having to quickly unclip the harness to clear the outboard motors as it doubles back under the boat, then clip straight back in to keep the pressure on to stop it from diving. This one has nearly all the tricks!
   But I eventually wear it down, but I'm worried it's been too much. It suddenly chucks in the towel, and we get our chance. We quickly leader the fish, and manage to get gloved hands on its bill. A tag goes in, and we dislodge the 16/0 Owner Mutu hook perfectly placed in the jaw hinge. We get a quick measure and estimate 150kg, and let it go. We are all relieved as the sword swims off strongly.
  We radio that we are coming in, and ask can we get a weighmaster on standby.
   We get Oscar's fish weighed, and fill out the paperwork for a record claim. The fish is shared with some other crews, and nothing goes to waste.
   Great day all round, here's hoping it's a sign of things to come!

More pix on Team Choonachasa's Facebook page

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=176366492565845&tsid=0.22209335771404815&source=typeahead

PS- Anyone recognise the reel Oscar is using on his fish?

mhc

Great report! Oscar did well to land a fish I reckon would be more than twice his body weight - it'll be a while before he stops talking about that! Sort of stuff a lot of us only dream about, you certainly picked the right day to take a break from boat repairs. Good to see the Rothmar 500 get some action as well.
As for recognizing the reel, it's gold & you mentioned dropping into low gear....hmm....that rules out the Tank.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

coastal_dan

Awesome report, thanks for sharing from your side of the planet!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

whalebreath

Outstanding report-Thanks for posting!

theswimmer

Great report Rothmar!
I would love to get down to your area sometime !
Best,
JT
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Dominick

Hey Chris that is one heck of a sword.  It would have been nice to hook into that with the Tank when you had it.  Give the kid a pat on the back from this end of the world.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Wow, very nice Chris, I would have liked to see the Tank on that baby as well, or even your custom 6/0.
How come the 6/0 wasn't on that boat? :-\
The junior angler did an excellent job on that fish.
Thanks for the report.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

conchydong

Way to go! Looks like daytime deep drop swordfishing has gone global.

Dominick

Hey Chris what is it about the reel that we should recognize?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Rothmar2

Quote from: Dominick on March 01, 2017, 01:26:59 AM
Hey Chris what is it about the reel that we should recognize?  Dominick

Oh, just wondering if anyone has seen one of these over your side of the Pacific yet. (Photo 2&4 above).
Maybe Tony Dubeck or Steve Carson might like to answer if they see this thread (hint!).
Sal, no Tanks allowed for the swords the other day, but their day will come soon.
Thanks for the kind words and for reading chaps.

Bill B

Good deal guys...congrats on the recordbook fish....great report too....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

bill19803

great  fish   from one   sword  chaser to  another

mo65

What a beautiful fish...congrats!! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Rothmar2

Leo has got a video up of this day....

Shark Hunter

Wow!
That looked pretty Intense on such a small boat.
I have a fear of that thing spearing me.
Great Video and Great Job Chris. ;)
Life is Good!