Fred

Started by Whit, March 01, 2017, 08:37:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whit

Friends:

Although a long time reel tinkerer,  I wanted to share what a wonderful experience I recently had with Fred Oakes who is a frequent contributor to this board.  I sent him four reels to work on, all of them old and some of them having vastly greater sentimental value than practical application.  Indeed a less biased observer would look at a couple of them and no doubt have wondered aloud "why bother"?   

Undeterred Fred took them in, broke them down, fixed them all beautifully using new and cannibalized parts (in the case of one reel inherited from my grandfather which was at least 50 years old), documented everything, put each in a nice felt bag and shipped them back ready to go.  All very reasonable.   On one reel, a battered and salt encrusted old Mitchell 410, I know he must have taken hours and it showed!  Smooth as silk!

Anyway, wanted to share the positive feedback with everyone on the board!

Whit

Midway Tommy

I must say I'm not surprised. I think that's the Fred we've all come to know.  :)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

STRIPER LOU

Thanks for sharing that with us Whit. Those of us who have dealt with Fred know without a doubt he is a gentleman and an inspiration to all. Its people like Fred that help make up this group for what it is!
Have a great day,  ..  Lou

Dominick

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on March 01, 2017, 08:45:22 PM
Thanks for sharing that with us Whit. Those of us who have dealt with Fred know without a doubt he is a gentleman and an inspiration to all. Its people like Fred that help make up this group for what it is!
Have a great day,  ..  Lou
That's our Freddie.   :D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bill B

Class Act both of you  ;) ;) ;)   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Reel 224

Fred is a great person and I'm sure he will appreciate the positive feedback. I will say in my experience as well, he has been a good friend to me and Ruth.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."