Zebco 404 oldie

Started by Whit, March 01, 2017, 08:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whit

Friends:

I'm cleaning up a way old Zebco 404 (probably from the 1970's because it is two-tone green and white instead of pure black that was the earlier generation) and am missing a part.  Looks like the missing part is the "Spinnerhead spring" which fits on the underside of the rotating head and causes the rotating head to lock in the forward position when the push button is mashed.

The reel is not worth the money to buy the part, however the reels design is so simple that I'll bet I can repurpose a spring from my collection of random parts, if only I knew what it looked like.

If someone would be kind enough to send me a pic of the part, or even a hand drawn diagram, I'm sure I could jury rig something up.

With these old reels what I do is fix them up then put them onto a rod and hand them off to kids Johnny Appleseed style.  Way better than the latest electronic gadget!

Thanks in advance,

Whit

Midway Tommy

Hopefully this will help. Just about any similarly configured A/R, click or trip spring should be able to be converted or reconfigured to work if your setup is like this:

NO PHOTO THANKS TO PHOTOBUCKET!  >:(

If it's the rear spring a heavy ballpoint pen or similar style compression spring that will fit properly over the shaft should suffice.

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Whit

That's the ticket, thanks Tommy!!!!!

Dominick

Whit search the site.  One of our members, Justin (Redsetta) from New Zealand posted a thread on how to make springs.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

foakes

Whit --

If you get stuck, frustrated, or just get tired of trying to make it work -- let me know -- and I will dig a spring out of an old 404 for you -- let me know, N/C.

Would be nice to accomplish it by making a spring -- but don't sweat it either way.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

That 70's green/white 404 was the same one I had as a kid...it was the best casting Zebco I ever had. It was a killer trout and crappie reel. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

oc1

You can probably make one out of a piece of 30 lb. stainless leader wire.
-steve

Donnyboat

X2, yes S steel leed line, will work well, store variuos gauges of leed line in the work shop, comes in handy, I ones had a post here looking for a drag spring for a spinning reel, Jarvis Walker Patrot, finnished up using S steel leed line 58 lbs, working really well. cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Whit

OK, so in my bag of tricks I found a bail trip release spring off of a spinning reel, and with a little needle nose plier work it was straightened out and installed, works perfect.

The reel itself took to a sonic cleaner bath like a duck to water, and its pretty much in perfect shape less a little boat rash.

To boot, here's one other highlight pointing up old vs new:  remember the removable spool for a pushbutton reel?  New push button reels these days are all an integrated unit made of plastic.  Not these ones!  So I chucked the spool into the line winder and loaded it with 10 lb Stren.  Might have to take it fishin' before I turn it over to the next kid!

Background music:  "I wish a buck was still silver, it was back when the country was young...." 

Thanks to all for your help.  Didn't need the piano wire trick this time, but that's a good one to remember....

Thanks

Whit