Saltist and Torium

Started by Graceland, January 25, 2009, 01:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graceland

First of all thanks so much for setting up this site and consolidating all your reel how to's into one spot.

My first question is after doing the drag upgrade on the Saltist or Saltiga did you check to see what kind of numbers you got for max drag? I did a Saltist 50 last night and it looks like max drag with free spool came to about 26 lbs.

My second question is about the anti-reverse bearings. One of my friends told me you had found a set that you could actually double stack into these reels? I've been trashing the one in my Torium 30 about every 3 months or so from fishing at pretty high drag settings for snowy grouper and golden tiles. I haven't had any trouble with the sleeve or dogs yet but one of my friends using a Trinidad had one instance where all these had to be replaced in his reel.

Thanks for the help.

alantani

one of my friends, tom hryniuk, is working on that.  it is possible to double stack the anti-reverse bearings for the trinidad and torium.  it is not an option for the saltiga and saltist.  he has several irons in the fire right now (as do we all) and is looking at sometime late this year for the first prototypes.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Graceland

Strange that it would not work on the Saltists and Saltiga. I haven't tried it but it seems to me someone somewhere had substuted the Shimano antireverse bearing into a Saltist reel. I'll go back and hunt around and see if I can find that one again. Keep me posted on your progress. I am getting a little tired of replacing those things every couple of months.

alantani

it has to do with the design of the side plate.  if you look at the four reels side by side, you will see immediately why that is so.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

steelfish

Quote from: alantani on January 27, 2009, 03:24:52 AM
one of my friends, tom hryniuk, is working on that.  it is possible to double stack the anti-reverse bearings for the trinidad and torium.  it is not an option for the saltiga and saltist.  he has several irons in the fire right now (as do we all) and is looking at sometime late this year for the first prototypes.  alan

Alan or Tom,

what happened to this project from 2009 of a double stack antireverse bearing for the trinidad rees?

The Baja Guy