ABU 6600 D5 Question

Started by FishDad, March 04, 2017, 03:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishDad

A rookie question here I know, but I am a rookie - LOL. I am repairing an ABU 6600 D5 (broken idler gear). I'm ready to put it back together after a thorough cleaning. I will be using Quantum Hot Sauce grease on the gears, & Quantum Hot Sauce oil on the bearings. My question is, how much grease should I put on the gears & how much grease on/under/around all the other parts? Any help is appreciated.

Rancanfish

I am not familiar with those greases, (or the reel), but if this is strictly a freshwater reel, I would only use very light coatings on metal gears. None on the levelwind if it has one. oil there & on bearings.

In saltwater, a light coating of grease smeared everywhere, still oils only on levelwinds, nylon gearing and of course bearings.

I only have one remaining ABU, a 2 speed auto reel.

Good luck, you sound like you have it in hand.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

thorhammer

What Randy said.i use hot sauce in all my baitcasters. Works fine.

Zimbass

I will never use that Hot Sauce on any reel. It has a dye that colors parts, and is very difficult to clean when servicing.

Have heard that there are some reel repair men that will charge extra for reels that have been "sauced" !!

Just my 2 cents.

Terry.
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

whalebreath

Serviced many an Abu-less is best.

Bill B

X2 what randy and whale said....never used hot sauce, but Reel X on the bearings and levelwind worm gear has done me well....bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

FishDad

Many thanks to all you guys for the info & assistance. Sounds like I need to re-think my choice of grease/oil. Will probably order up some ReelX this week & start using it after I use up all the Hot Sauce.

Whale, thanks for the "less is best" advice....guess that's why grease/oil was almost non-existent in this reel. Only grease I found was a small glob on the on the yoke, so it seems as if ABU agrees with you! I realize most of you guys are saltwater as is most of the info/tutorials on this forum, but a lot of the info/tutorials for saltwater reels seems to translate to freshwater stuff. I do enjoy this forum - thanks to Alan for starting it! ....Dennis