Lew's Speedspin - parts

Started by Marlinmate, March 05, 2017, 06:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marlinmate

Anyone know where parts are available for Lew's reels?  or know anything about them?  they look awfully like Okuma reels.
FISHING IS THE SPORT OF DROWNING WORMS

oc1

If you are talking about modern Lew's Speed Spool, just call the company.  They are quick to ship and parts are cheap.
-steve

Marlinmate

Here is the reel....any idea on if parts are still available...or does anyone have parts laying around?

The drag is totally shot on this

foakes

Not sure if Lew's -- who started in Alabama, has the older parts.

Would be nice if they did.

Not a lot of call for these, at least not in my neck of the woods here in California.

I may have a couple of old dogs in the bonepile -- maybe a bag or two of cranks -- a few spools -- that is about it.

They were originally known for their Shimano baitcaster upgrades -- then they came out with a line of their own that are valuable baitcasters, and capable reels for the bass herd.

Lew Childre was to baitcasters and spinners, what Carl Newell was to Penns.

The spinners, like Steve said -- are similar to the Okumas.  And actually closer to the Shimanos of the late 80's and early 90's, along with the Ryobis.

The skirted spools are very similar to some of the Cardinal spools -- and may interchange up to a point -- although I have never needed to try that.

Anyway, if you need spools -- I have a few.

On the drags -- the only thing would be to dissasemble the drag stack in order -- keep it in order with a pic or two -- replace the shot drags with similar that you either modify from others, or construct on your own -- that is what I would do, along with trying thin CFs greased very lightly with Cals.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Marlinmate

Thanks...nice stash of parts you got there!   I need to get into the reel to see what's up.  My thoughts on the drags are:.....they have been compressed and worn out for so long they have lost their "grab".   As you tighten down on the rear drag...it compresses the drag stack...as you back out the rear drag knob..it lightens the drag.    On this reel, I can bottom it out and still get Zero drag??

I'll dig into it later today and take some photos and measurements on the drag washers.   I'll most likely have to make my own or get really close to the originals.

How much for a spare spool? 

foakes

Just $10 + $3 shipping.

Need to know which size -- looks like there are 2 sizes.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Marlinmate

Here are the approx. measurements of the drag washers.....anyone have anything close?

Tiddlerbasher

I would cut my own from a sheet of cf. The .01 (.25mm) thickness sounds very thin to me. Maybe they have been compressed or worn out. I rarely, if ever, have found a reel where the drags are thinner that .5mm (.02) :-\

Marlinmate

Yeah...the problem with the reel is that there was NO drag...even when the drag knob was cranked all the way down.   So I'm thinking the drag washers are compressed and worn out. Dawn at smoothdrag has some that are very close and in the .02 thickness range.