Cortez anyone?

Started by pullrachet, April 28, 2011, 02:28:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pullrachet

is it basically a graphite cedros?

Roger

All I know is what I've read about it recently. It doesn't have near the drag that the cedros has.........
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

pullrachet

so it's like a sealine then.. ???

alantani

never opened one, but it's a nice looking reel. http://www.okumafishingteam.com/family/397435  i think you're right. it's a graphite cedros. 

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

pullrachet

Do you think its about on par with the daiwa sealine 40?  seems to be pretty similar.

alantani

well, it already has carbon fiber drag washers.  that will make it a better reel.  alan

Normslanding

I just got a 12 yesterday. It is about the same (size, weight, profile) as a Shimano TLD 15/30. The drag is much better than the 15/30. I pulled the stated 18lbs. of drag. It was smooth. It will fish 12lbs. Cast control works well. The shield/mechanical alignment will need some time to tell if it works. IMO it will help. It is a little tricky for me to reassemble this reel, maybe learning curve.
Nice everyday light reel. Fills a spot for casting iron, that my Makaira's, and Andros, will not be used for.
Sold my last two Avets.

mackereljoe

Got the size 10 last week for surface iron.  The factory line capacity seems to not add up, it's rated at 350 yards of 20# mono.  I pack (with 7 pounds of drag) 200 yards 40# spectra and just able to put 125 yards of 25# mono.  A little optimistic since i can't even go near 100 yards with the old Hawaiian Ulua 13'  stick with 8oz anchor sinker.  With the magnet cast control set at 1/4 to 3/4 it works good, no fluff.  More than 3/4 and it's like driving 30 mph in first gear and letting go of the gas.  Without the cast control, got fluff and my 25# mono got stuck between the frame and spool.  The gap is actually bigger than my old jigmaster.  It's hard to get a good cast because you can't just feather the spool with a little fluff or it will get eaten up.  It has good cranking power and it pickup line in a hurry so it should okay for yoyo.  The spool is little bit heavy for fly lining anchovy but should be okay for sardine.  Also the stabilizer system is made of graphite and there's some flex to it.  It is held only by 2 small screw.  The drag is good and smooth but rubbery.  It's similar material as carbontex and it's greased (well 3/4 of it).  Would have grade this reel a solid B if not for the gap.  Don't know how to re-size the photo to show the stuck line and the inside.  Even with a TB Bucs color scheme, with just a smidgen of improvement, this reel would have been a homerun.  Well, should've just spend the extra $ and got something else.  Emailed Okuma customer service but still no reply. 

alantani

not good.  the tolerances between the spool and frame should be tight enough to prevent 25# mono from getting eaten.  hell, a jigmaster will do that. 

mackereljoe

The last few days, i received a detailed response via voice and email from Okuma.  They insisted in picking up my Cortez and will give me an upgrade to a new Cedros.  I'm liking this Okuma company already.
;D
When i have the same problem with a Newell, i ended up taking a day off and drove to Glendale to get a new spool, which cost me more than a new reel.  On that one a #40 mono get stuck and wraps around so bad the reel it has to be disassembled.

mackereljoe

Got the Cedros upgrade today.  Opened it up and all the inside is the same as the Cortez without cast control, but the spool is so light and has a lip for your thumb so it don't need it.  The only thing i notice that's different is the drag seems to be dry for the Cedros.  Wonder if that's the reason Okuma rate the drag at 28# while the Cortez is at 18#?   

Normslanding

After reading Alan's comment about removing cast control in a Trinidad, I removed the magnets in my Cortez. This doubled the spin time. I have been using heavy line (50#) on the Cortez. The reel is on a 700m. Throwing a Tady 45 I gained at least 10 yds. with 30# and a longer rod this is a nice everyday, bang around reel. Next year they plan to bring out a a smaller 5 size reel. wish I had one now.