Ambassadeur 5000C - Red

Started by FishDad, March 11, 2017, 09:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishDad

OK guys....little help here. My brother & went fishing the other day & he pulled out his red 5000C (9903) & made a cast (freshwater). That thing screamed like a banshee! When I questioned him, he said "oh, it always does that, I just have to dunk it in the lake a few times & it quiets down", then he asked me to look at it for him. I pulled it apart yesterday & found zero lube in it anywhere. After a full cleaning & lubing, just went out to test it - still screams when you cast.

Anyone have any idea what might be causing this?

Thanks,
Dennis

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

PacRat

I believe the red reel comes with bushings (at least mine did). These are the same size as bearings and can be swapped out for bearings. Because your buddy likes to dunk his reel, I would suggest sticking to the bushings but clean and lube them. They may have a bit of tarnish on the surfaces where the spool shaft rotates.
-Mike

FishDad

You're right Mike....it has a brass bushing in the left side of the spool behind the white gear thingy, but the right side of the spool has a bearing. I looked at the bushing, & while there is very little tarnish on the surface, it does appear to have a slight grove worn into it. I'll try cleaning it real good & then turn it over to see it that makes a difference. If not, I guess I'll order a new bearing & bushing.

Thanks guys !!!

Dennis

exp2000

The original schematics for this model show one bush 19843 and one bearing 13475 on the spindle.

If your brother likes to dunk his reel (bad idea), I suggest using lubricated bushes on both ends of the spool.

Dunking has probably washed all the lubrication out of the reel.

mo65

Something else that will cause that squeal during a cast is a dry race on the centrifugal brake. Just a little smear of oil from a cotton swab will cure it. All that dipping is washing away the lubricants. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

FishDad

He doesn't "like" dunking his reel, it's just the only thing he could do to "fix" it - LOL. I emphatically explained that he needed lube....not water - I think he got the message, so now I'm trying to fix it for him. Thanks for your input....mo, I'm a rookie, so when you mention "dry race on the centrifugal brake", can you tell me what & where the brake is? On the right end of the spool? exp, you're right, all the dunking had most definitely washed all the lube out.

Dennis

exp2000

In the schematic above part 20211 is the centrifugal brake block.

These micro-weights rub against a metal rim on the brake plate 20923.

You just need to apply the lightest smear to the rim.
~

FishDad

OK, mo65 & exp2000....I'll try that first & if that doesn't work, move on to the bushing and bearing. Thanks for your help guys, I really appreciate it.

Dennis

oc1

If the bushing has been screaming you might want to check the spool shaft for wear too.  Mine has the spool and levelwind bushings replaced with ball bearings.  The levelwind ball bearings seemed to improve performance more than the spool ball bearings, but that could have been a fluke.
-steve