Need Help With a Fly Reel!

Started by foakes, March 14, 2017, 05:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Going through 2 or 3 large bins of old fly reels in standard retrieve and automatics.

These are simple, quick, and easy to work on in my spare time --

And easy to sell at yard sales and swap meets, etc..

Ran across this old Cortland 444 in a seemingly unique color for the badging and knob -- Peach.

Seems basically in perfect condition -- probably owing to the fact that the knob came loose early on -- it was put back away in the protective case -- and never looked at again.

So...how do I install the peach colored knob?

Looks like if I try to use the original knob shaft -- there is not enough meat left to peen to a mushroom.

If I cannibalize another knob shaft from a NOS spool -- not sure there will be enough metal left to peen for a strong attachment.

Could use screws and modify another shaft to be screwed in -- then recess, or shave and smooth the screw head so it would not catch the line upon retrieval.

What other ideas have you guys used that would be capable and strong?  

Ideas, tricks, modifications, parts?

Since it is so nice -- I think it would remain nicer if original.

Appreciate your help!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

gumpie44

Drill  O.E.M Shaft.....Take Spare Shaft... Cut off Peened End,leaving some shaft...Turn To Hole Dia. Cut To Correct Length.... Attach With Lock-Tite Or Appropriate Anerobic Glue.
Barry :)
Barry
Carpe  Diem   The Days Go Fast

El Pescador

Fred,

I am the last guy to be of any assistance to you, but this product line may help.

http://www.onepfoot.com/Products.php?view=productPage&product=9&category=1

This site has After-Market pieces for the Pflueger Medalist Fly reels, but be helpful here, but I don't know.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

oc1

Maybe low profile binding posts.
https://www.mcmaster.com/#rivets/=16rf3g8
-steve

STRIPER LOU

Fred, is there something I can turn up for you?

.............Lou

foakes

Really appreciate all of the help, Gentlemen!

Thanks, Lou --

And I will let you know -- but at this point, McMaster Carr looks like they may have some low profile binding posts that I can install backwards.  And I will have enough parts to offer some to others -- or just keep for backups on other reels.

I just like a solid connection that can be disassembled for lubrication sometime down the road (might be years or never for whomever ends up with this reel -- but I sleep better knowing it is right when it leaves my bench).

That is the only reason that I like the low profile screw option -- corny, I know -- but no point in having a reel that may fail at some point.

On a side note -- a guy called me yesterday, and we were talking fishing -- he sez:

"If you had the choice of marrying a Super-Model -- or going fishing every day for the rest of your life -- would you fish freshwater or salt?"

I guess sometimes we don't always have to have the answers -- but we really need to know the right question...

I told my wife that I was fortunate enough to have both of those options already in my life -- dinner was excellent last night.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tiddlerbasher

Mikes reel repair offers a couple of complete replacement/repair kits with all the parts for fly reels, if that helps.