Penn 114H with black sideplates

Started by 1badf350, March 13, 2017, 04:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1badf350

Big thanks to this site! This is my first post.
I was at a fishing flea market Saturday and saw two Penn 114H reels on a table. I thought they were regular 6/0's since they were black. When I looked at them closely I notices they were stamped 114-H on the sideplate. I thought to myself, "Thats odd", and walked away. It bugged me for about a half hour as I walked around. Finally curiosity get the better of me and I did a quick Google search on my phone. One of the first search results was a conversation that took place here a few years ago, talking about how rare they were.
So without hesitation I went back to that table and plopped down $80 for both.

You guys are awesome!
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

coastal_dan

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Bryan Young

I haven't seen one yet Broadway Dom surely can tell you more. I think he has one.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

RowdyW

Broadway Dom has about 7 at last count & I have 3 in pristeen condition.. They are not rare but they are somewhat scarce.        Rudy

thorhammer

$40 per is a nice price on a plain red one....good work

Shark Hunter

I have two and gave a little over $100 each. I say you made a wise choice. ;)
Life is Good!

Bill B

Brother thats a deal in my book....All Day Long...good score....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

broadway

F350,
   First off, you scored! The 114H's aren't rare, but they are often overlooked or confused with 6/0's as you said.  They are the first run of 114H's s far as I can find. The majority of people who know they exist are right here on this board, so you will often find them on Ebay going for less than they would if more people knew about them. Were you at the Asbury Park Convention Center this weekend?  My buddy was sending me photos all morning because I couldn't make it and he didn't know what to look for but we were only looking for 30's and 40's reels.   Good eye, you earned that good deal on those tough to find 114H's because you did your homework and joined us here. ;)
Keep up the good work,
Dom
PS- I do have 7 but not in my collection... 3 are gonna pop up for sale this summer or fall. ;)

Maxed Out

Quote from: broadway on March 14, 2017, 01:33:18 AM
F350,
   First off, you scored! The 114H's aren't rare, but they are often overlooked or confused with 6/0's as you said.  They are the first run of 114H's s far as I can find. The majority of people who know they exist are right here on this board, so you will often find them on Ebay going for less than they would if more people knew about them. Were you at the Asbury Park Convention Center this weekend?  My buddy was sending me photos all morning because I couldn't make it and he didn't know what to look for but we were only looking for 30's and 40's reels.   Good eye, you earned that good deal on those tough to find 114H's because you did your homework and joined us here. ;)
Keep up the good work,
Dom
PS- I do have 7 but not in my collection... 3 are gonna pop up for sale this summer or fall. ;)

I'll take them Dom...$40 each right ?? That's seems to be the going rate  ;D ;D
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

broadway

That's the going rate for unknowledgeable sellers... I got tuns of no ledge, LMAO :D
Dom

1badf350

Broadway,
No I was in Chesapeake Va.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Bill B

Dom...I'll give you $41 each.... :D   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Tightlines667

Nice find!

These transition reels are probabably about as scarce as the transition/US-made 9/0s that are often mistaken for the first Chinese-made Senators (due in large part to the tailplate graphics) in that they likely represent production during less then 1 year.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.