surfmaster 200 refurb

Started by wolvie, April 29, 2011, 04:53:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolvie

First I confess to having lurked on the site for a while to educate myself about reels and have benefitted greatly from the tutorials and other information with which Mr Tani is so generous.  Thanks!

I have not maintained my own reels before, but have been prompted to dive in, so here I go.

I have an old surfmaster 200 that I am trying to tune up.  I have a power handle already, and I think I need the following parts (from the tutorials here and looking on mysticparts.com) to upgrade it:

#   Item
1   7C-60 Washer, Drag, Metal Drag Washers (SET of 3) (for surfmaster 200M)
3   6-60 Washer, Drag, HT-100® (for surfmaster 200M ( uses 3 ))
   (for some reason, the kit (6-60SP) is 7.60, but buying the parts separately is only 2.85 + 2.90 = 5.75 ???)

Can anyone help me out with the part number of the drag washer for replacing the fiber washer under the main gear?  Or should I not bother if I am not upgrading the sleeve to SS?

I also need some supplies since I have not maintained reels before, and will need for my 2 progear 545s and 2 penn 113h's :

1   6oz. Corrosion X Aerosol
1   Cal's Universal Grease, Tan, for Larger Reels (1 Ounce)
1   224SP Penn.25 fluid oz XR1 Penn Precision Reel Grease (until I locate some yamaha marine grease)
2   168-60 Wrench
2   168-115 Wrench

Do I need a mini-grease gun with the custom inflator needle fitting?  I cast with my reels, so I will use tsi on the bearings and only use the yamaha for the non-exposed metal parts.  I have an old toothbrush and if I lose that, 10 fingers . . .  ;D

My 113h's already have ht100's, but they still have the fiber washer under the main gear, so I think this is the part for the 113h's and I am thinking it will be the same for the 545, since they seem almost identical to the 113h - can anyone confirm this for me?

4   6-875 Washer, Drag Washer HT-100®
   (as sub for 4-349 under the main gear:  2 for 545's, 2 for 113h's)

I have managed to take apart and reassemble my 113h without losing the dog spring, thanks to the tutorials, so I think I can perform the upgrades once I have the parts.  But any warnings or tips to a new reel hobbyist would be most welcome.  

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Bryan Young

Quote from: wolvie on April 29, 2011, 04:53:48 AMCan anyone help me out with the part number of the drag washer for replacing the fiber washer under the main gear?
Probably #6-155.  The OD will be a slightly large, but should not affect the dog.

Quote from: wolvie on April 29, 2011, 04:53:48 AM
1   224SP Penn.25 fluid oz XR1 Penn Precision Reel Grease (until I locate some yamaha engine grease)
You should buy marine grease as it is not as hygroscopic as normal grease, but you will be fine with Penn's XR1 grease as well.

Quote from: wolvie on April 29, 2011, 04:53:48 AMDo I need a mini-grease gun with the custom inflator needle fitting?
It's extremely helpful especially in lubing screw holes.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

I've been using the same size drag washers, I just order an extra one for under the main gear, I then use a rounded taperd file designed to enlarge circular holes. It has been working for me and makes it easy to order drags, usually 20 strokes on a file does it. ;) I also do the same for my spinning reels
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 29, 2011, 08:53:24 AM

Quote from: wolvie on April 29, 2011, 04:53:48 AMDo I need a mini-grease gun with the custom inflator needle fitting?
It's extremely helpful especially in lubing screw holes.
The mini grease gun is really helpful if you're working on a lot of reels. If you're not ready for that yet, just grab a toothpick, goop up the end of it with grease and stick it in the screw holes to lube them. My 2 cents. :-\   That said, a grease gun with Alan's bearing packers is fantastic for greasing bearings.
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

wolvie

Thanks everyone for your help!

I have another question:  I read somewhere about a problem if you grease the screw holes because it traps the air inside and the pressure cracks the end plates.  This seems like it would not be true for most frames, but I do not want to find out the hard way that mine is one.  But I know if I leave them ungreased the screws can corrode into the holes and need to be drilled out.  Is there a way to grease the holes such that the pressure is not a problem? 

Bryan Young

For most reels, it's not a problem, and usually occurs when using power drivers.  As a minimum, you should at least grease the screw threads.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

kamuwela

i put a dab of grease on side plate screw seats. then install the screw's this will seal the screw head and take a little grease in the frame when tightening down the screws. i use alan's needle set up, dont put too much grease. the thread tollernce is so tight with no place for the grease to escape, you can crack the frame. like bryan said watch those power driver's

wolvie

Quote from: wolvie on April 29, 2011, 04:53:48 AMCan anyone help me out with the part number of the drag washer for replacing the fiber washer under the main gear?
Quote from: Bryan Young on April 29, 2011, 08:53:24 AM
Probably #6-155.  The OD will be a slightly large, but should not affect the dog.

When I select the #6-155 on mysticparts.com, it asks me to specify a reel in the dropdown menu in order to add it to the basket and the 200M is not listed.  Can I just choose anything?  or does it matter what I choose?  There is a 209M, but I am not sure that is anything like a 200 . . .

Thanks again for the help.  

Norcal Pescador

Just pick any reel since you're using it in an after-market modification.
Rob

wolvie

Great.  Thanks to all.  Just one question left. (For now - maybe more after I have taken apart all 5 reels and cannot get them back together  ;D)

I know the drag washer to replace the fiber washer in the 113's is the 6-875 and the guts of the pro gear 545 seem nearly identical, and I know it takes the same ht100s for the main drag, so can anyone confirm these will work as replacements for the fiber washers in my PG545's?

alantani

confirmed!   good luck.  um, for now just disassemble one reel at a time.   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

wolvie

Oh, OK, one at a time. 
Spoilsport . . . 
;D

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: alantani on May 04, 2011, 06:03:12 PM
confirmed!   good luck.  um, for now just disassemble one reel at a time.   ;D

Yeah, Alan's no fun at all. :D :D
Rob

Alto Mare

We get cofused having just one open, can't imagine what it would be like having a couple of them opened at the same time ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Sometimes I have to open more two reels at the same time.  One partially taken apart and the other completely to see how things fit.  Other option I have done is to take pictures of the unusual construction that I am not used to.