Metal washer

Started by Harry, April 29, 2011, 12:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

wow Sal thats a pretty thick washer you used! I have taken it appart now  but was thinking i could put a tiny thin copper washer/shim in the hole, but one this size might be hard to find . bit like the one that stoped the spool play.

or i could use a larger one like you  did in stainless steel....any diference u think?

Alto Mare

Harry, its trial and error. I don't know how much play you have, it doesn't make any difference if  the washer is copper or stainless steel. The sleeve that I used on that 16/0 was a stainless steel sleeve and it had a lot of play, that washer worked out perdfectly, in your case it might be too thick. I'm sure  you already noticed that the lower part of the sleeve is a bit wider that the top part of the sleeve, you will need a washer with the hole size a little larger than the drag washer. We already know how to fix the problem, the only thing left is to install the right thickness, try with a thin washer first and see what it does, a little play would be ok.

Harry, I wanted to mention that all of the metal washer that I used on the 16/0where the thin metal washer that came  with the 1+7 kit.
I converted the drags from 1+5  wich had the thick washers to 1+7 thinner washers. The washer that I used as a spacer was also thin.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Harry

All done Sal , thanks 4 your help , the 6/0 special has a tight handle now with very little play , cant wait to cast it out again!  have a few more reels that need this done to them, going to wait till i fish the 6/0 a few times first  b4 i try it on the others.

cheers Harry

Alto Mare

Way to go! Harry. There is no stopping you now ;D ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Harry's hooked.  Another one bites the dust... ;D
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Harry

LOL  yes Bryan...i enjoy cleaning ,oiling ,greasing, modifying 4 the better all my overhead penns.  But eggbeaters !!  forget it !!!   dont wanna  know.

If it wasnt for Alan and this site , i wouldnt have ever attempted tearing down a whole reel.

cheers Harry ;D