Metal washer

Started by Harry, April 29, 2011, 12:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Hi Alan , just pulled down a 12/0 and found the last metal washer befor the star goes on has a round hole in the middle, all the other washers have a square hole ....is this the norm with the standard old type drag washers?

im  upgrading to ht-100s  and found this, not sure if i should use it, it also seems scratched up a little and possibly warped. Any help appreciated .

Cheers Harry

Bryan Young

Harry, there is usually a keyed washer before a normal flat washer or just a keyed washer.  If you are buying new drag washers, you should consider buying a keyed washer and replace or to go under that flat washer.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Quote from: Harry on April 29, 2011, 12:17:04 PM
Hi Alan , just pulled down a 12/0 and found the last metal washer befor the star goes on has a round hole in the middle, all the other washers have a square hole ....is this the norm with the standard old type drag washers?
im  upgrading to ht-100s  and found this, not sure if i should use it, it also seems scratched up a little and possibly warped. Any help appreciated .
Cheers Harry

Harry, to get the best stock configuration on that 12/0 this is what I recommend:  carbon - keyed - carbon -eared - carbon - keyed - carbon - eared - carbon - keyed - carbon - eared - carbon - keyed - belleville - spacer- star wheel.  On smaller reels you get away not using the belleville, you do need it on these heavy duty reels. Make sure you lightly coat the carbon washers with some Cal's grease ;)

The washer that appears to be warped to you is the belleville, it's a cupped washer.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

yes, that is what you have!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Harry

Thanks guys drag seems so much smoother and dont have to keep pushin down the star so much anymore at all to get traction ;D

Heres another question i have....with this 12/0 there is a little  bit of movement/ play in the spool , left and right .....12/0s dont have a adjustable tension knob..can this play be redused at all?

my other 12/0  has no play at all  and is  smooth , its  in better cond  than the one i bought recently, that im  messin round with .  any help be great ! 

cheers Harry

Bryan Young

You could add a few thrust washers between the spool and he side plate bearing.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Harry, check if the spool shaft has a washer on the left side...it's very easy to loose it when servicing the reel. In case you do not see one, Scott's at Penn parts still has them the part # is 154-117. Good luck, Sal

Quote from: Harry on May 12, 2011, 04:26:54 AM
Thanks guys drag seems so much smoother and dont have to keep pushin down the star so much anymore at all to get traction ;D

Heres another question i have....with this 12/0 there is a little  bit of movement/ play in the spool , left and right .....12/0s dont have a adjustable tension knob..can this play be redused at all?

my other 12/0  has no play at all  and is  smooth , its  in better cond  than the one i bought recently, that im  messin round with .  any help be great ! 

cheers Harry
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Harry

Thanks guys , thats great news 4 me. Dont think iv seen a spacer on the spool shaft befor on either 12/0s.  sounds like an easy fix. :)

Alto Mare

Quote from: Harry on May 12, 2011, 03:46:57 PM
Thanks guys , thats great news 4 me. Dont think iv seen a spacer on the spool shaft befor on either 12/0s.  sounds like an easy fix. :)

Harry if you need to see what it looks like check the 16/0 under Penn tutorials, I think it's the 19th picture from the top.

Harry

i see it sal ...thanks  mate ...  20th pic i counted  lol....im  gonna crack mine open and  look  more carefully this time ....it would be ok to use as many as  needed  to  minimise the play u think?

cheers Harry

Alto Mare

Harry,the original spacer was made out of copper, rectangular in shape and it's not available anymore. The spacer on the picture that I showed you is a replacement and will work just fine. It's ok if you need to add an additional spacer but I'm betting that you won't find one on your spool shaft when you crack the reel open. Take care, Sal

Harry

Hi Sal , you were right there was no spacer on the spool shaft when i had a  look.

I was lucky and found the tiny copper round washer with the part # you gave me at the local penn store here that ive found.Thanks!   They too are good blokes and gave me it and a few other spacers to try  all for free.

Unfortunatly they only had 1 left, but that 1 fixed the movement in the spool. Tiny little round copper washer , so thin too i thought id need a few  but it was not the case,  1 was sweet.

Is there a solution for the play on the handle side on all senators that they seem to all have that you might have found?

Once again this is a super site  , big thanks!

Cheers Harry

Alto Mare

I'm glad it worked out for you Harry. About the movement on the handle side, if you're talking about the handle itself having back and forth movement, check that 16/0 again on Penn tutorial and go down to picture #27. Take care, Sal

Harry

I see it Sal....is that a fibre washer or a metal one ?Looks like a fibre one to me ,  also i have never pushed those pins out to get to that stage yet ...but gonna give it a go. All my senators have that play , some more than others...let u know how i go with my first attempt. Thanks buddy.

cheers Harry

Alto Mare

It is a metal washer, if I remember correctly that washer was the eared metal washer from the drag stack, all I did was to file down the ears on it and enlarged the inner diameter with a tapered rounded file, very easy to do but, you should be able to find one that will fit nicely. About removing the pin give it a go, it's not a big deal. I use a punch and a hammer, place the sleeve flat on two pieces of wood stripps or whatever you have, place the punch on the pin and tap it with the hammer...I've used nails in the past, you'll then pull it out with pliers from the other side. To put the pin back, place the pin back in the hole and tap it gently with the hammer untill flush, I have a small hammer for it. When you remove the sleeve give it a good cleaning, put some grease in it and you're set to go. Harry, looks like you're touching every part on that reel, great job! It gets easier as you keep working on them, you'll be a pro in no time. cheers, Sal