Penn 113 Black Side Upgrade

Started by bauer86, March 17, 2017, 06:35:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bauer86

Hello Everyone,

This is my first time posting on here and first time messing with a Penn Senator reel. I purchased a Penn 113 Black Side and I am aware that I probably in hind site should have gone with the 113H. That being said it is bought and I would like to upgrade this reel as much as I can. I have played around with spinning reels previous to this and look forward to half the fun being upgrading this new to me reel. So what can I do? I have already talked with Dawn over at smooth drag who will I will be getting some things from. She is actually the one who suggested I get on here to ask. But just wanted opinion on Tiburon frames, stainless gears, etc... Thanks in advance and I am really looking forward to this project.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

If you are planning to use the reel for any serious fishing, you should save your black 4/0 as a loaner reel and go get a 113H.  There is no comparison between the two.  The red 4/0 is more reel box stock than the black one would be after you poured a ton of money into upgrading it.  That's just my two cents.

bauer86

Hey thanks for reply. Yes, your probably right but honestly half the fun for me will be upgrading the thing. And I am actually bidding on some 113H's now so that will be next. And the 113 is bought and even if its a back up might as well make it as sweet as I can get it!

PacRat

Randy is giving some good advice but if you decide you want to build what you've got; do a search on this site for "Grouper Special". The black 4/0 has lower gears and low end grunt but that is offset by slower retrieve,  smaller drag and smaller gear sleeve.
Good luck and show it off when you're dome
-Mike

steelhead_killer

><)))">

otownjoe

I made the same mistake the first time I bought a 4/0. I thought I was saving money. I used the reel one time and have never used it since. Just my two cents. Joe

bauer86

Looked at the Grouper Specials and that's definitely the direction. What options are there without going to the narrow spool? I like the aluminum one it has now.

bauer86

Also I know it's not as good as the 113H.But I like it and will just have to learn the hard way.

RowdyW

The first thing to do is to replace the (3) #113 drags with (5) #60 drags. Then maybe a handle & knob. If you already have an aluminum spool there is no need to go narrower as there is no option for an aluminum spool in the narrow width. Then fish it a while & see if it's what you really want before putting any more money into it. As has been said, a box stock 113H is a lot more reel then a 113 4/0 with modifications. Save your money to put into a 113H instead. You will have a lot more fun & a lot more mods for a 113H.      Rudy

Swami805

Having just got on here a year ago it can very very confusing as to who sells what for what reel. First look at the vendors in the for sale section and see what they offer, read the posts from members about your particular reel and products you're interested in. That should give you some idea of where you're going. Also figure out what you're planning to do with the reel so you don't go overkill,there's just so much that reel is capable of.Having said all that, you're still be better of getting a 113h to start with and keeping the black one for a back-up. So with my 2 cents you're up to about a dime now. Hope you enjoy it, Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

BryanC

I have one, and I like to use it for grouper fishing.  I have the following upgrades:

• SS gear sleeve
  • Steel main gear (this is not really an upgrade, as many 113's came with these, but I believe it is stronger than a brass main gear)
  • 5 disc drag stack - I bought mine from Dawn at smooth drag
  • Aftermarket power handle - I bought one from Ebay, but a Penn 24-56 would be OK also, in the long position
  • Delrin belleville washer on top of the drag stack - this doesn't increase the drag range, but it does make the drag adjustment smoother

With these modifications, the reel can be fished at around 18-20 lb of drag reliably, at least for the type of fishing I do.  Grouper don't make long runs, but a lot of drag is needed to get them off the bottom.  I like the low gear ratio for this.  I have several 113h's, but I really enjoy using this reel for grouper fishing.

I may put a Tiburon frame on it also.  I haven't had problems due to frame flexing so far, but a Tib frame would definitely eliminate that concern.

bauer86

Awesome guys. I spoke with Dawn this AM who told me to get on here actually. I hear everyone on the 113H vs. 113. And FYI I just won an eBay auction for a 113 H so that's next. I will fish it and work on this 113 first soon as I get them in hand I will tear down and share with the group what I find inside. Appreciate the feedback I am really looking forward to messing with these reels!

bauer86

Here's API of the reel FYI. Also I intend to mainly surf fish it for red drum and other surf species found along gulf coast if that has any bearing on the upgrades. I have only ever run spinning reels before Penn 10500 and the like before these are my first conventional reels. So any basic advice on them is appreciated.

mo65

It's like the guys are saying...the 113H is a much stronger reel...but you have to consider what you'll be doing with the reel. If 15-20lbs. of drag will suffice, the old black plate 113 is a great choice. It's a lot beefier than a  jigmaster. Heavier posts, stand, even the bling rings are beefier. A mildly hopped up 113 would be a budget minded alternative to a decked out Jigmaster. You would have to spend big money on the jiggy to reliably handle 20lbs. of drag...and your ol' 113 will handle it in stock form. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Tightlines667

Quote from: mo65 on March 18, 2017, 02:10:34 AM
   It's like the guys are saying...the 113H is a much stronger reel...but you have to consider what you'll be doing with the reel. If 15-20lbs. of drag will suffice, the old black plate 113 is a great choice. It's a lot beefier than a  jigmaster. Heavier posts, stand, even the bling rings are beefier. A mildly hopped up 113 would be a budget minded alternative to a decked out Jigmaster. You would have to spend big money on the jiggy to reliably handle 20lbs. of drag...and your ol' 113 will handle it in stock form. 8)

Good point!
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.