Jigmaster failure?

Started by TongassFisher, March 20, 2017, 07:13:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TongassFisher

I'm interested in stories and or opinions on the jigmaster platform. First assuming one is utalizing all SS internal upgrades, SS sleeve, bridge, double dogs, SS main & pinion, and pumped up drag, has anyone experienced frame twist and or failure associated with the factory 4 screw cross braces? Are the one piece Tiburon or Accurate frames a nacesity when pushing the jigmaster to its limits, I.e. Up to 20ish lbs of drag?

I mainly plan to troll for salmon with the 500 but occasionally I have had ling and halibut hit. Luckily they have been small so it has been no issue. I would like to think that if I get into something large like a big halibut, I could potentially bring her on in and not damaging the reel. Would I be crazy to target halibut with a pumped up jigmaster runing say 60lb braid?

Lastly I'm aware that there are probably much more capable reels for my application but there is just something so enjoyable and cool for me personally when I'm fishing something I had a part in modifiying or putting together. It probably sounds rediculous but it adds to the joy of being out on the water. Oh and the jigmaster seams to have the most potential for improvements and modifications through the aftermarket so this is the reason I'm interested in the 500 platform.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing some of your stories!

Trevor.

Bill B

Trevor, a 500 as you describe would handle all fish you describe...Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Keta

I would recommend a 501 for what you are doing. The 501 will not twist as bad as a 500 but I would also put 505 bars or a solid frame on it just in case a large butt decides hit your gear.  I have caught butt up to around 60# on unmodified 209 and 10 reels, but it was not easy.  
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mo65

Quote from: TongassFisher on March 20, 2017, 07:13:41 PM
The Jigmaster seems to have the most potential for improvements and modifications through the aftermarket so this is the reason I'm interested in the 500 platform.

Not trying to change your mind or anything, but maybe you just haven't seen all the Senator 113H aftermarket goodies. It's well suited to trolling...and a very strong reel in stock form...let alone in beast mode! ;) Lee is right, the 501 will do surprisingly well even with stock posts, if the Tib frame makes your wallet groan. Good luck with your project and post a report! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Keta

Quote from: mo65 on March 20, 2017, 08:06:23 PM
maybe you just haven't seen all the Senator 113H aftermarket goodies.

The 113H is better as a butt reel but a bit large for salmon.  I occasionally use a 112H for salmon but my go to salmon reel when I lived in Ketchikan was a Penn 10.  I usually use Calcutta a 401TE, a Trinidad 12, and ABU 5601s for Oregon salmon but when I am feeling old school I use a Surfmaster 100 (with Newell bars or Tib Frame and 5 CF washer drag) or Monofil 27 (with a 5 CF washer drag).

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

steelhead_killer

Quote from: Keta on March 20, 2017, 08:35:49 PM
Quote from: mo65 on March 20, 2017, 08:06:23 PM
maybe you just haven't seen all the Senator 113H aftermarket goodies.

The 113H is better as a butt reel but a bit large for salmon.  I occasionally use a 112H for salmon but my go to salmon reel when I lived in Ketchikan was a Penn 10.  I usually use Calcutta a 401TE, a Trinidad 12, and ABU 5601s for Oregon salmon but when
I am feeling old school I use a Surfmaster 100 (with Newell bars or Tib Frame and 5 CF washer drag)  or Monofil 27 (with a 5 CF washer drag).

8) 8)
><)))">

Maxed Out

Trevor, You can have the best of both worlds.

A Pro gear 541 is a jigmaster 500 with 113h Gears, drag, and spool shaft. You can get a decent one for around $150 and go kill anything that hits your line.

Randy Pauly is your guy if you decide to go that route.

Here are 3 pro gear 541's, and far left is a jigmaster 500 that cost me $450 to build.....All 3 pro gear 541's combined cost less than that jigmaster. The Pro gear will not twist with one piece frame. This would be the perfect reel for any surprise visit from a barn door or a monster ling cod.

-Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Reel 224

Hmmmmm, that is interesting Ted. Then I should have invested in three Pro-Gear reels instead of the Jig master I built. To late!

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

TongassFisher

Interesting!

Ted I've tried to locate a nice 541 but can't seem to find one with a clicker. If I'm going to spend the money the clicker is important to me.

As of now I'm taking a Penn 250 with Tib frame and 500 aluminum spool in on a trade. I'm contemplating converting it to a 500 with Cortez side plates and then running the SS main/ pinion, SS sleeve, double dog SS bridge and Bryan's drag stack upgrade. Also have a 500sl in immaculate condition so I've thought about leving it stock looking because it's so pretty but upgrading it to all SS internals.

Just weighing my options.

Really appreciate the responses!

Deep down id like to fight a monster butt on a 500...I know... I've got problems ;D

Bryan Young

Respect Ted. Finally someone is listening to you because I've been saying it for years here.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Quote from: TongassFisher on March 20, 2017, 09:21:00 PM

As of now I'm taking a Penn 250 with Tib frame and 500 aluminum spool in on a trade. I'm contemplating converting it to a 500 with Cortez side plates and then running the SS main/ pinion, SS sleeve, double dog SS bridge and Bryan's drag stack upgrade.

Deep down id like to fight a monster butt on a 500...I know... I've got problems ;D

I am not sure if there are SS 13-140 pinion and 5-60 main gears

A stock 500/250 would work for butt if the depth is not too deep, the 250 a bit better for butt.  For what you are doing a hotrod 250 would also work.

Mark Twain

Rancanfish

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 20, 2017, 09:37:19 PM
Respect Ted. Finally someone is listening to you because I've been saying it for years here.

Some of us heard you Bryan.   8)  But a lot of things bear repeating.

But, and it's a big but (butt), if you are actually going to fish the reel...his original plan to add a Tib frame and drag upgrade to a 500 is all that's needed.  Sounds like he's local to us, and I've never caught any salmon or butt in these waters that a Jigmaster w/65lb braid wouldn't knock down.

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

mo65

Also have a 500sl in immaculate condition so I've thought about leving it stock looking because it's so pretty but upgrading it to all SS internals.

Deep down id like to fight a monster butt on a 500...I know... I've got problems  ;D

That might be a cool idea keeping the outside stock. My Jigmaster is a "sleeper build" too! I used all SS parts and Pro Challengers DD bridge, but the outside is bone stock. The only thing you have to watch is the really heavy drag settings...Bryan's 5-stack or the new style gear/drag washer sets from Pro Challenger can make enough power to get you into trouble if you don't pay attention. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

TongassFisher

Lee, can you elaborate more on the 250 build? I was under the impression that the 250 has smaller gearing, smaller drag washers, and no stainless gear options? Actually I thought I read somewhere that a steel main is a factory option but hard to find? I like the idea of a hot rod 250!

Trevor

TongassFisher

Nice, that's a looker!

So after reading your reply, it sounds like the stock 4 screw cross braces might not be up to fishing heavy drag settings that a modded 500 with all the upgrades can put out?

Quote from: mo65 on March 20, 2017, 10:41:02 PM
Also have a 500sl in immaculate condition so I've thought about leving it stock looking because it's so pretty but upgrading it to all SS internals.

Deep down id like to fight a monster butt on a 500...I know... I've got problems  ;D

That might be a cool idea keeping the outside stock. My Jigmaster is a "sleeper build" too! I used all SS parts and Pro Challengers DD bridge, but the outside is bone stock. The only thing you have to watch is the really heavy drag settings...Bryan's 5-stack or the new style gear/drag washer sets from Pro Challenger can make enough power to get you into trouble if you don't pay attention. 8)