Where can I find a tutorial for rebuilding the really old Jigmasters

Started by BrokeLoser, May 02, 2011, 12:16:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrokeLoser

This is a 500 S
The "how to's" I keep finding pertain to the newer models with the plastic spools...etc.
Thanks

akfish

Th newer Jigmasters have aluminum spools, not plastic -- and they are identical on the inside to the older models including the 500S. Any tutorial for a Jigmaster will be more than adequate. And the Tani Mantra still holds: greased carbon fiber drag washers and thin coat of grease on all internal parts. The 500S has no ball bearings so you don't need to service any bearings, and Penn HT-100 drag washers (size 006 309) are great. Get some Cal's Drag Grease and Corrosion-X and you're good to go!
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Norcal Pescador

The only difference between the red 500S and the black 500L is the side plates. The black side plates have the quick takedown screw on the right one and the red side plates have the takedown screw on the left one. Use Alan's tutorial and you can't go wrong.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Alto Mare

In your pix I noticed that you have the chromed brass spool. While they are good for light trolling, they are a little heavy for casting. You shouldn't have any problems finding an aluminum spool, if needed. With any luck, you could find a red aluminum spool. That would really make that reel handsome! If you're not concerned about the looks, just do as Akfish mentioned and go fish. The Jigmaster is one of the easiest reels to work on and maintain.  As you probably already know, the dog and spring is pre-assembled to the bridge plate saving you a little headache when servicing it.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BrokeLoser

Hey thanks guys!
I appreciate the fast responses.
A overhaul looks pretty simple on these....even for me ;)

alantani

glenn fukumoto used to be the manager at my local fisherman's warehouse. he used to complain bitterly about these models of jigmasters.  they were apparently an experiment that went ary.  glenn said that these reels flexed too much, so penn went BACK to their orginal design.  i never saw much difference.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!