Ocean City Reel Question

Started by oldsquidder, May 02, 2011, 01:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldsquidder

I have handled a few Ocean City Reels at swap meets with what is called a ZEPHALOY SPOOL. The ones I have seen are usually a teal green in color and seem to be very light weight almost flimsy in construction. I am reluctant to purchase as the reels in most cases don't seem to be built to a very high standard of quality.

I would say but can't confirm that the very cheapest older Penns had a similar looking spool available on their reels too in a silver color. Does anyone here have any experience with these spools and could speak as too their durability and or what material they were constructed of.

alantani

when you said "teal green," the first thing i thought of was old brass that was corroded an ugly green color.  some are fairly soft and i could imagine the spools bending easily.  the old ocean city's are of limited value to actually fish with.  they're just too old......
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Quote from: oldsquidder on May 02, 2011, 01:22:03 PM
I have handled a few Ocean City Reels at swap meets with what is called a ZEPHALOY SPOOL. The ones I have seen are usually a teal green in color and seem to be very light weight almost flimsy in construction. I am reluctant to purchase as the reels in most cases don't seem to be built to a very high standard of quality.
I would say but can't confirm that the very cheapest older Penns had a similar looking spool available on their reels too in a silver color. Does anyone here have any experience with these spools and could speak as too their durability and or what material they were constructed of.

Zephaloy spool is similar to the Penn red spool that was introduced for their 50th Anniversary, or should I say Penn was similar, Otto Henze started at Ocean City Reel Co. and after 10 years left the company and Penn was born.
The zephaloy spool is a anodized aluminum spool supposedly to be more resistant to corrosion than the chromed brass spool, but I've  seen a few in pretty rough shape in the past. I do not know when O.C. introduced these spools, I do know it was before Penn introduced theirs. The company only lasted 40 years. If you where thinking of fishing that reel  go for it, just clean it and re-grease it and go get some fish.

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

oldsquidder

Thanks for the info. I will probably try out this spool eventually. I have noted that the ZEPHALOY spool was offered on the first Ocean City Inductor Reels but later that they changed over to an unanodized spool in plain aluminum color that is prone to corrosion too. This change makes me think that the ZEPHALOY spool perhaps it was not such a good spool or perhaps too expensive to produce.

Charles

Alto Mare

Charles, I'm going to guess too expensive to produce. I have a few Penn anodized spools, these are sought after by collectors, the finish on these spools is very durable but with neglection anything would fail. I think your spool was offered in red /pink also. Take care, Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.