Shimming a bearing cup in lieu of cutting a sleeve??s

Started by conchydong, May 02, 2011, 06:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

conchydong

I have a TLD 50 with a Willfish aluminum frame. Ever since I put it in the new frame I have the problem of losing free spool when the reel is leaned to the right. Common problem as I understand it. Since the spool shaft has the Shimano c-clip instead of a bearing sleeve I understand that I need to "shim" the bearing cup. This is where I get a little confused. Do I just find a thin S.S washer that is the same diameter as the bearing and place it between the bearing and the cup in the spool on the handle (right) side of the reel? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

alantani

the result will be the same!  that is actually what i did with the tld 20/30 two speeds.  i am trying to find washers again.  they are hard to find.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

conchydong

Quote from: alantani on May 04, 2011, 09:13:27 AM
the result will be the same!  that is actually what i did with the tld 20/30 two speeds.  i am trying to find washers again.  they are hard to find.  alan

Alan, when you mean "the results will be the same", do you mean the same as having a sleeve or that the spool still will stop when leaned? As far as the washer size, should it be the diameter of the whole bearing or just enough to cover the inner ring?
Thanks again.

alantani

sorry, i'm pretty foggy at 1am.  if you shim the bearing cup properly, you can eliminate the freespool problem.  the spool will not stop spinning when you turn the reel to the right.  you need a skinny washer (or perhaps several) that you can place under the bearing that contact the outside race of the bearing only. 

intili

Alan, McMaster has miniature bearing shims, take care, JMI

alantani

yeah, i looked at them, but the inside diameter of all of them is way to big.  i found a company that i think can make them for me for a reasonable price.  it's got to be better then the $1 shim washers that i get from daiwa.  and did i mention that it takes 3 of thoses shim washers per reel?