Penn Main Gear Talk

Started by mo65, March 30, 2017, 11:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on January 31, 2018, 05:24:27 PM

The complete 5 stack - topped by thick washer, no spacer, and 2 belleviles () under the star

Wow Tiddlerbasher! That has to be the sweetest looking bridge and gear stack I've ever seen. I love blinged out muscle under the hood! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Dominick

Quote from: mo65 on March 29, 2018, 03:13:36 AM
    I love blinged out muscle under the hood! 8)

Hey Mo I have the feeling that you are the kind of guy that would have a muscle car with plenty of power.  If so open the hood and post a picture.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

mo65

Quote from: Dominick on March 29, 2018, 03:40:57 AM
Hey Mo I have the feeling that you are the kind of guy that would have a muscle car with plenty of power.  If so open the hood and post a picture.  Dominick

Well Dominick...I probably should have some kind of fast 4 wheels, because I'm getting too old and fat to ride this Milwaukee shaker. Never mind that flat tire...proof she's been sittin' still. ;)

Reel 224

Quote from: mo65 on March 29, 2018, 06:14:28 AM
Quote from: Dominick on March 29, 2018, 03:40:57 AM
Hey Mo I have the feeling that you are the kind of guy that would have a muscle car with plenty of power.  If so open the hood and post a picture.  Dominick

Well Dominick...I probably should have some kind of fast 4 wheels, because I'm getting too old and fat to ride this Milwaukee shaker. Never mind that flat tire...proof she's been sittin' still. ;)

Mo: That there is a nice bike brother! ;D

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

mo65

I've been comparing the #5-60 gear to the #5-66 gear. Although these 2 gears are the same diameter, that's just about where the similarity ends. The photo below shows how much more robust the teeth are on the #5-66. It's also deeper, allowing more drag washers inside the gear. The #5-66 will allow a stock thickness 5-stack to be used, where fitting that arrangement into the #5-60 requires one of Bryan Young's 5-stack kits using very thin washers.
   Moving along to the pinions used with these two gears, it doesn't take long to see which is the beefier design. The downfall of this mass though is lost speed. The tiny #13-140 pinion combined with the increased tooth count of the #5-60 main makes it the faster set up. We're seeing a trade off here...speed vs. strength...but how much faster? Or how much stronger?
   I performed some low tech experiments, but real world experiments, with real world results. I converted the speed concern from gear ratios to "inches per turn"...each turn of the handle would draw in a length of line measured in inches. In the pic are gear sets from a black plate Senator 3/0(on left) and a Squidder 140.(on right) The Senator's set develops 2.25:1 while the Squidder's is rated at 3.3:1. The Senator brought in 12-13 inches per turn, while the Squidder cranked up 22-23 inches per turn. Around 10 inches more per turn.
   That difference may be insignificant for some of my fishing, making the #5-66 something I could benefit from. I've always liked the #5-60's speed/power for catfishing, but I'm giving the #5-66 a whirl. Only time will tell if I'll like it better. The reduction in speed can be offset by added muscle for big fish. 8)

Long Enuff

Recently while working on a batch of estate sale reels, I had an issue with a bushed steel main gear on one of the 113H reels. The bronze/brass bushing came out of the gear. I snapped it back into place and finished the assembly then drag tested the reel and everything was fine. Would this be a problem down the road, or would the pressure of the drag stack hold everything in place?

mo65

Hi Long Enuff. I've seen a few guys ask this same question...and they were told its not a big deal...the bushing will stay in place. I can't remember where I saw this, or I'd leave you a link to it, but I have seen it mentioned here a few times. 8)

Long Enuff

Thanks Mo! That is encouraging.

sdlehr

Quote from: mo65 on April 17, 2017, 04:13:17 PM
   Here's another gear related subject that always stirs up a debate...shimming the gear sleeve. Some folks don't mind the loose fit of a stock gear sleeve, some folks are driven crazy by it, and I guess I fall somewhere in between. I like my gear sleeves to fit precisely, not tight. I like a thousandth or two of freedom...but tight enough not to "klunk" when handling the reel. Many reels will have a close fit right from the factory, while others will exhibit a wider gap, it's just a tolerance of manufacturing. Also switching to an aftermarket gear sleeve can sometimes change the feel, and need a minor adjustment.
   At any rate...the gear sleeve's fit can be adjusted easy by tapping out the retaining pin and adding a shim washer or two. What seems like a huge gap will surprise you by how narrow it really is. Having a variety of thicknesses will make shimming easier. As stated many times earlier...McMaster-Car is a great source of these shim washers. The first photo shows a typical gap on a stock gear sleeve. The second pic shows a few shim washers I use regularly.  8)

I've not yet done this to any reel, but have a few that could use this. What thickness shims should I get to keep on hand? They seem to come in packs of 5 from McMaster.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

mo65

Quote from: sdlehr on March 31, 2018, 03:09:41 PM
I've not yet done this to any reel, but have a few that could use this. What thickness shims should I get to keep on hand? They seem to come in packs of 5 from McMaster.

Hi Sid, its good to have several thicknesses on hand, I use shims from 2 thousandths to 12 thousandths, depending on what is needed. Just remember, don't make it tight. Always allow a few thousandths space for heat expansion, in the event you might be lucky enough to have a lunker empty your spool. 8)

Swami805

One of the pier rat kids gave me this in a bag to see if I could fix it. It's a Humpty Dumpty and missing a bunch of parts. I'm sure it's not worth the time or $ to fool with it but it has a big main gear (unfortunately no pinion)  any idea what gear this is?  It's pretty big so thinking it might be useful for a project down the road. Thoughts?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Long Enuff

Sid, Sharkhunter turned me on to these a couple of years ago.  They worked great for a 114H.

The Rogue of the Seven Seas!   
Re: 114H gear sleeve spacer
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 02:49:02 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote
I use the .010 thick Brass. 3/8"x5/8". They work on the 114H and up. part#  92678A278
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/121/3256/=10daj2t

Alto Mare

Quote from: sdlehr on March 31, 2018, 03:09:41 PM
Quote from: mo65 on April 17, 2017, 04:13:17 PM
  Here's another gear related subject that always stirs up a debate...shimming the gear sleeve. Some folks don't mind the loose fit of a stock gear sleeve, some folks are driven crazy by it, and I guess I fall somewhere in between. I like my gear sleeves to fit precisely, not tight. I like a thousandth or two of freedom...but tight enough not to "klunk" when handling the reel. Many reels will have a close fit right from the factory, while others will exhibit a wider gap, it's just a tolerance of manufacturing. Also switching to an aftermarket gear sleeve can sometimes change the feel, and need a minor adjustment.
  At any rate...the gear sleeve's fit can be adjusted easy by tapping out the retaining pin and adding a shim washer or two. What seems like a huge gap will surprise you by how narrow it really is. Having a variety of thicknesses will make shimming easier. As stated many times earlier...McMaster-Car is a great source of these shim washers. The first photo shows a typical gap on a stock gear sleeve. The second pic shows a few shim washers I use regularly.  8)

These have been talked about a few times in the past and there are a few threads spread out.
Here is one from 4 years ago:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=10736.msg102911#msg102911
you could use just one or a couple stacked on top of each other as you need.
Mo is correct! you do not want the gear sleeve to be tight, it should have a hint of up and down movement.
Penn never made these tight and for a good reason.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mo65

Quote from: Swami805 on March 31, 2018, 04:08:23 PM
One of the pier rat kids gave me this in a bag to see if I could fix it. It's a Humpty Dumpty and missing a bunch of parts. I'm sure it's not worth the time or $ to fool with it but it has a big main gear (unfortunately no pinion)  any idea what gear this is?  It's pretty big so thinking it might be useful for a project down the road. Thoughts?

That's a GTO 220 Swami, they have their own gear, the #5-220. It's not a severe duty reel...along the lines of a 309...just a good average strength reel. They are popular with many catfishermen around this neck of the woods. Scott's has just about all parts for one...short of the decals and gear stud shims. 8)

Swami805

Thanks Moe. It's missing a bunch of parts, it came in a plastic grocery bag with a hole in it so I'm sure the missing parts are on the bus the kid rode to the pier and long gone. Thinking it would cost more to replace them than to buy the reel. We've kinda of adopted this kid cause his family doesn't have much money so we've set him up with decent gear since he fishes there so much. I traded him a shimano speedmaster for the bag of parts, I know I'm a shrewd operator on that deal. Was hoping the gear might fit something else. Thanks again
Do what you can with that you have where you are