Penn Main Gear Talk

Started by mo65, March 30, 2017, 11:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 26, 2019, 10:24:11 PM
That particular combination with the 149 main and 113h pinion is to me the smoothest reel,
A few others feel the same way, but of course not everyone🙂

Sal

The 149 main/113H pinion is indeed a fantastic upgrade for 4/0, 3/0, and 2/0 black Penn Senators. It requires a little Dremel work, but the increased speed is very usable. This double dogged 4/0 Senator is sporting the 149 main/113H pinion upgrade. Kudos to Sal for discovering a killer gearing combo. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

oc1

Again, really nice dremel work Mo, but you need to get out more  :)
-steve

mo65

Quote from: oc1 on April 20, 2020, 07:00:38 AM
-steve

With the current Pandemic lock downs here in Ohio...there ain't much to do outside. Sittin' in the cave piddling with my reels will hopefully pass the time. My spare parts are so organized now it's unnatural. 8)

Decker

Quote from: mo65 on April 24, 2020, 09:54:06 PM
Quote from: oc1 on April 20, 2020, 07:00:38 AM
-steve

With the current Pandemic lock downs here in Ohio...there ain't much to do outside. Sittin' in the cave piddling with my reels will hopefully pass the time. My spare parts are so organized now it's unnatural. 8)

Mo, for a guy that turns out so many  beautiful reels, you sure have a compact bone yard!

Gfish

Little plastic tubs---good idea.
I suppose there's more cleanin an organizin goin on in the world now than ever before.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mo65

Quote from: Gfish on April 27, 2020, 03:33:34 PM
Little plastic tubs---good idea.

They worked out very well G. Then inside the tubs all the parts are in individual bags.(mostly left from Mystic orders) I guess I really don't have much...when compared to some of these guys...I wouldn't have much of anything if it weren't for Ted. I saw this morning Lee needed a side plate and before I could even answer two fellows offered one. That is the greatest thing about this site. 8)

xjchad

Quote from: mo65 on May 01, 2020, 07:22:49 PM
That is the greatest thing about this site. 8)[/color]

100%!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Rancanfish

I'm surprised along with Joe.  I thought your stuff would fill Fred's trailer, lol.  I bet your reels would, eh?  ;D
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

wideopenoutdoors

Quote from: Keta on February 14, 2018, 02:40:47 PM
I plan on making drawings like the one below available as I make them.  I will start with the gears I have and can ID but will need help with ones I do not have or can't ID.  If there is interest I will make a data gathering template.

How did this go? My friend in our college fishing club is a fellow PENN head and we are thinking of making a google doc to list all the parts, cross compatibility and combinations, kinda like a "PENN reel bible". 
"your not on a fishing show, reel it in!"

Ron Jones

That would be great. The only dimensions I would add is the size of the notch, that determines what spools it will fit.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Robert Janssen

Quote... we are thinking of making a google doc to list all the parts, cross compatibility...

Y'know, i have a bìg binder of schematics Penn sent me like 25 years ago. In that i think there was a list of common parts, or that you could tell by looking at the part numbers if it was a common part among other reels. Now, that doesn't do the job for you, but it would probably make it a tad easier. I"ll have a look tomorrow. I betcha Fred would have a similar list.

wideopenoutdoors

Quote from: Ron Jones on May 04, 2020, 05:33:58 PM
That would be great. The only dimensions I would add is the size of the notch, that determines what spools it will fit.
The Man
i winder if the notch (female) can be milled out to be bigger? or the spools "male end" milled down? that would be a great addition tho.

Quote from: Robert Janssen on May 04, 2020, 06:13:07 PM
Quote... we are thinking of making a google doc to list all the parts, cross compatibility...

Y'know, i have a bìg binder of schematics Penn sent me like 25 years ago. In that i think there was a list of common parts, or that you could tell by looking at the part numbers if it was a common part among other reels. Now, that doesn't do the job for you, but it would probably make it a tad easier. I"ll have a look tomorrow. I betcha Fred would have a similar list.

Everything helps, between my friend Adam and I we can get alot done, plus we can recruit more. Im sure a bunch of tech savvy college kids could wipe this out in a few weeks, and turn out a book....

"your not on a fishing show, reel it in!"

Gfish

I know it's ridiculously nit-picky, but units of measure might be a "thing".
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

quabbin boy 62

hi, do you know of a better pinion gear for a penn 9m? i have 6 of these that i use for freshwater trolling, and since i'm not very good at reel repair yet, and have arthritis in my fingers, i seem to be going through these faster than normal (every 2-3 seasons) thanks

mo65

Quote from: quabbin boy 62 on July 27, 2020, 11:35:45 AM
hi, do you know of a better pinion gear for a penn 9m? i have 6 of these that i use for freshwater trolling, and since i'm not very good at reel repair yet, and have arthritis in my fingers, i seem to be going through these faster than normal (every 2-3 seasons) thanks

I don't think there is an option for the Peerless 9 pinion...that reel uses it's own size pinion gear. I haven't opened a lot of 9s, but I do know my older one has a steel pinion. Maybe the newer ones are brass? Switching from brass to steel would help you...other than that I guess using a larger reel would help. 8)