Stuck bearing in newell

Started by Steven G, March 31, 2017, 02:14:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven G

Aloha guys!
I'm new to the site and I'm sure this topic came up many times before but I need help. I have a Newell stock bearing stuck in the cap on a Newell 500 series. I've tried the paper clip, wd-40 soak, tapping with pencil trick etc. but it's not giving in. I've seen mini bearing pullers made & shown from this site and was wondering where I could purchase a bearing puller; where online if not here could I get something to yank this bearing out. I've read that some people drill theirs out worst case but I don't want to go to that route.

Aloha!

Ps: thank you Alan for allowing me to be here

steelhead_killer

You can buy them but for a single bearing it would be cheaper to buy a new cup and bearing or 10.  You can send it to me and I wlll get it out for you.  No charge, just good vibes!  Just send me a PM and I we can coordinate.

Andy
><)))">

Steven G

Thanks for the reply! I was thinking to just buy a new cup and bearing but idk where I could get it for a cheap price (everything for Newell is a Arm n Leg now days). That's why I figured if I invested in a mini bearing puller all id be buying is just the bearings. I'll send you a pm!!

bluefish69

Steven

I was going to say the same as Andy. I'm in NY if that helps you.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Steven G

Hi Mike,

Thank you, I may just end up sending them to Andy. If anyone is selling any type of bearing puller please keep me posted too!

Steven

bluefish69

There is a thread on here by Alan about how to remove a stuck bearing.

Mike

Steven G

Does anyone know the size of the bearing for newells 2-500 series? Is it 3mm?

reel man

I'm in Burbank, CA, and have a bearing puller purchased from Reel Speed.com, but the puller is $60 with shipping.  Bottom line if you sent the bearing cup to me I'll pull the bearing and run a reamer in the cup.

The bearing size is, .125 ID, .375 OD, and .156 thick.

Steven G

Wow thanks for the reply, I've check the site but it doesn't show anywhere where I could purchase it.
To everyone one who's help thank you all! I ended up drilling the old bearing out without damaging the SS cup. Thanks again!

Much ALOHA,

Steven

Fishy247

There's also the bread trick. That bearing might be a bit small for it, but there's a link to a video on this site somewhere that shows how it's done. Pretty cool trick. You simply pack the inside hole with a bit of bread and then use a punch that's reasonably close to the size of the hole and hammer it in. It compacts the bread and forces it under the bearing, pushing it straight out. Sometimes you will need to add more bread as you go to get the desired effect. I haven't had an excuse to try it yet, but it's worth a shot if you're going to drill it out anyways!

Mike

Steven G

Wow that's actually not a bad idea! Thanks Mike!

**UPDATE**

I've gotten the bearing out and thank you for everyone's IMPUT and help! Thanks everyone who even offered to take it out themselves for me.

reel man

I would still want to run a .375 reamer into that bearing cup before you install a new bearing.

Bill B

For others in the future....Alan has used a demel with a cutting wheel, cut a screw driver slot across the bearing and partially into the sides of the cup, gripped the cup in vise grips and "unscrewed" the bearing. Of course lots of penetrating oil was used before the cutting and during the screw driver process....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

bluefish69

Bill

Alan did a whole thread with pictures on this subject. I can never find anything in the search box maybe you have better luck then me. I have a Bearing Puller so I'm Lucky for this.

Mike