Everol 1 1/2 /0 -12lbs.

Started by 54bullseye, March 31, 2017, 03:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

54bullseye

I picked this up a short while ago and can't seem to find another like it ? I have googled it different ways but can't find this exact reel ? From what I can see is there is no drag adjustment ? Free spool is pretty good but as you move the lever forward for more drag it starts reeling harder ?  Any one have or seen this one before ? Maybe know date it was made ?  Any info would be great. Thanks !!   john Taylor

Bryan Young

what a cute little reel.  What is that adjustment know on the left side plate for?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

54bullseye

Seems to be just the clicker but I haven't taken anything apart yet. I figure best to ask first.  John

sdlehr

Based on the lack of information, I'm wondering if this is a prototype reel that didn't reach production.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Robert Janssen

Yes, i noticed that one for sale too. I had only seen black ones until then. It was a just small, inexpensive reel from the '80s* that they didn't make so many of, thats all. Thats why there isn't much about it on the internet.  I had one a few years ago in which i heavily modded the drag and antireverse design. It belongs to Chris up in New York. I don't know what became of it after that. I might still have some pictures.

Have fun with it.

*wild guess

54bullseye

I will have to say it's not the smoothest reel I have ever handled ! Another shelf fishing reel !!!   Thanks!
    John T.

coastal_dan

Beauty of a reel!  Was this the one on the auction site?
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

54bullseye

I bought it in a personal sale not auction.   John

Robert Janssen

Oh, i thought you got it from the same guy who had the Zuckerman Fin-Nor. (former aquaintance) He had one of them too. Well, that makes three of them anyway...

Robert Janssen

I found a pic and description of the one that i played with a few years (more like ten-twelve years) ago.

The description says, "Okay, what is going on here, is that apparently I concentrated on two areas-- the antireverse and the drag construction. I recall only that it took a lot of thinking and a lot of doing, but turned out rather well.

The antireverse was of the usual six-tooth on the main gear, which multiplied by the roughly 3:1 gear ratio gave approximately one-half spool revolution of slack between stops. Or, roughly thirty seconds if compared to a clock.

By rethinking the antireverse to a direct-acting version with twenty (?) teeth, it gives us only 18 degrees of slack. Or, about two seconds of a clock. Pretty big difference.

The antireverse dog is stainless steel and about 9000 times stronger than the standard one. It is held in position by a screw head stud which happens to be one of the bridge screws i think. Spring loaded with a standard Everol spring, and the spring is anchored on a circlip because I didn't want to drill a hole in the reel.

The whole gizmo is extremely accurate in design, execution and fit. It is also very noisy. Maybe an Ambassadeur-ish dog would be better.

DRAG:

The old drag was made of flexy sheetmetal drag washers with pressure disposed centrally. By integrating the drag plate into the antireverse unit , allowed the use of a big solid machined  hunk of aluminum.  By counterboring the back side, I fitted a giant beefy Belleville washer disposed to provide pressure at a radius equal to that of the drag washer. This in turn is forced upon by the usual belleville stack. The greater range of travel in the spring stack gives a nice, soft, even, strong pressure. And the absolute lack of flex puts pressure it where it should be, onto the full diameter HT-100 drag washer.

Thoughts:

Well, the spool has the slotted cage design, so it could have two or three drag washers. Same with the new design drag plate. If we added another drag washer with hex drive..."

It goes on to say that it had well over twenty pounds of drag and that I didn't remember any the details anymore, which means it could have been years previous and that I changed some other stuff too.

54bullseye

Well thanks for looking up old tutorial but that work is far beyond my skills !!!!  Think mine will be a shelfy !!    John T

coastal_dan

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...