Papa's old 155 Beachmasters

Started by bhale1, April 03, 2017, 01:06:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhale1

Hello All,
This is my first attempt at putting in pictures.....so here goes! Shortly after joining the A.T. Ohana, I started thinking of what my first "project" would be.........simple for me because my girls had inquired about being able to go on half day boats with my on our two annual San Diego trips. I dug through their Papa's old reels and found 2 155's........perfect!

My first thought was to tear them down, clean, lube and reassemble. They were in good condition.

Thought I might as well upgrade to CF drags and better handles, so I contacted Dawn at Smoothdrag and "the boss" for two NOS 24-56 handles. Then I noticed that Alan C. (black pearl) had some nice aluminum spacer bars for squidders, and inquired whether they would fit my (girls :)) 155's. He said yes-- but I would need new spools and stands. He told me to PM Sal (Alto Mare) and consult. Long story short, ( I know too late!)--Sal said to throw them in a box and he would build them out for me. At his suggestion, I also had two 98-155 SS main gear sleeve and star combos from Tom at Cortez Conversions sent to Sal.  Wow!!! what a transformation! 2 very capable, awesome reels.

Oh yea--and did I mention Sal magged them and put reel clamps on for the girls also?

My girls are so happy!! they now have Papa's old reels but in a size that they can handle and that will last forever.

Thanks for looking and a big shout out to Sal from me, Samantha and Taylor!
Brett

bhale1

So I guess I still haven't figured out how to post pictures ???

Edit....But at least there are links.....How do I get the pic to just show up in post....Ughhbhb!!!???!@#%__
testing...
hey I might have got itnot sure if I can repeat tho...

sdlehr

You used the link to the page that hosted the image, not the link to the image on the host site (if that makes sense). You were Oh, so close.... choose the code in the bottom box labeled IMG. I changed the first one for you; you can see what I did if you select Modify for your message in the upper right. Some of your images are thumbnails and aren't going to display well.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Maxed Out

No surprise that they don't even resemble the reels they used to be. Sal is the man when it comes to the monofils and 155's. Beautiful job Sal. We know you have the market cornered on those aluminum spools. Your secret stash is still putting out quality stuff. Nice going again !!!

BTW, love the last pic with the cactus guarding your nice set-ups.......look but don't touch !!  :D :D

-Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

bhale1

Sid and Ted,
yes, we were very fortunate to have hooked up with Sal for these two little 155's. They are truly awesome, and very special to the girls cuz they were their Papa's! I cant wait for July to take them fishing with me....one fish each would be very special to me( and them also), but knowing them their will be more!!! these reels will be a good start for them, and last many years! Cant wait to post pics of their first catches on them :)..... and hopefully I will figure the picture posting thing out soon. going to mess with that in a few..thanks Sid

Bill B

Great reels and happy girls....a proud daddy you must be....and bravo Sal on two more great builds.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Bryan Young

Quote from: bhale1 on April 03, 2017, 01:10:15 AM
So I guess I still haven't figured out how to post pictures ???

Edit....But at least there are links.....How do I get the pic to just show up in post....Ughhbhb!!!???!@#%__
I got you. 😉😁
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Thanks for the kind words guys and especially Brett, Samantha and Taylor... It was my pleasure doing those for you.

Ted, when I received that photo with the most beautiful thank you notes I have ever received, I said the same:
You can look but do not touch :)

Wonderful family here, I'm glad Brett came aboard.

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

coastal_dan

Very very nice, they look perfect.  Twin narrow beauties!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

mhc

Quote from: bhale1 on April 03, 2017, 01:06:54 AM
Wow!!! what a transformation! 2 very capable, awesome reels.

x 2! Those little reels will last a lifetime! Great to see your young ladies interested in using them as well!

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

thorhammer

Great little reels; built by Obi-Wan Pennobi. The best.

John

sdlehr

Quote from: thorhammer on April 03, 2017, 02:09:53 PM
built by Obi-Wan Pennobi
I laughed out loud, almost with soup coming out my nose....

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Bryan Young

Quote from: thorhammer on April 03, 2017, 02:09:53 PM
Great little reels; built by Obi-Wan Pennobi. The best.

John
Love it...LOVE IT
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mo65

Those made two really nice fishin' reels! And magging them makes them cast user friendly...good luck on the water! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Shark Hunter

Good Stuff. ;D
Obi-Wan Pennobi is good people.
Glad to Have you and your Girls on Board Brett.
This is what its all about here. ;)
Life is Good!