need help with Daiwa Lexa 100 reel

Started by kungajim, April 04, 2017, 05:05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kungajim

hello all-

you guys (and gals of course) have been a great source of assistance for me in the past both directly and by just absorbing your collective info.  I've been able to successfully tear down, clean, regrease, and reassemble several reels without much incident since finding this site.  however, I've have had multiple issues with this daiwa lexa 100.  its a low profile baitcaster.  I have it running pretty smooth after replacing the pinion gear.

however, I am now having an issue with the thumb bar not consistently re engaging when I crank the handle.  there is no rhyme or reason to when it does or does not engage.  when it doesn't, I manually "flip" the thumb bar up, and then the reel works as usually.  I'm assuming everything is mechanically ok as it works intermittently.  I'm thinking it may be one of the small springs but not sure.  any advice/guidance will be appreciated.

thx-

Jim
so many baits....so little time

Bryan Young

I'd check that kick lever that contacts the ratchet under the gear is properly positioned and flat upon reassembly. A slight twitch or mis alignment will cause periodic issues as you have described.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

kungajim

thx.  I'll take a look at it.  I appreciate it.
so many baits....so little time

KogaHead

Same thing happened to my Exceller. Turns out the parts where loosing their smooth surface due to wear. You need to remove the thumb bar and sand the inside surface with 600 wet sand paper. Also sand the reel frame. Next sand the two plastic "bushings" that press into the reel frame. One on each side of the reel frame where the thumb at is. The surfaces have worn out. Use some light grease on the areas you sanded.

Other option is to sand the frame and replace the other parts.