Better do my first post!

Started by Strata, May 05, 2011, 09:38:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strata

Hi everyone, been hanging round a while now, but after reading Alan's thread about people not posting I thought it was time I introduced myself. My real name is Tim, I have lived and/or travelled and fished all over Australia and currently located in Tasmania, which I guess is "Double down under!" Having a bit of an engineering background, I have found this site to be very interesting, it's a perfect match really, precision engineering plus my favourite pass-time - fishing! My user name is actually the name of my boat, which was already named when I purchased it.

One of the things I have noticed here is the use of Spectra/braided lines and souped up drags for game fishing, which is something that doesn't appear to have caught on so much down here. Most stick with trolling, using more conventional methods, i.e. mono lines and 1/3 breaking strain drag settings. I have already put info gained from this site to good use though, with a recently purchased Malaysian built TLD 25. I pulled it down and found the dreaded "No grease" scenario, and fitted a Carbontex drag washer from Smooooth drag, greased up with Cal's grease. Haven't christened the reel on a fish yet, but it feels the goods on the drag scale.

Anyway, congrats on an awesome site, and thanks to all for sharing their knowledge

wallacewt

itsa gooda site mate.i used to work in rosebury mines, welcome.fished the savage,pieman rivers

Alto Mare

Welcome Tim, nice to have you with us. Stay dry on the Strata, a buddy told me its getting cold down there.
Take care, Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Strata

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 05, 2011, 10:26:25 AM
Welcome Tim, nice to have you with us. Stay dry on the Stata, a buddy told me its getting cold down there.
Take care, Sal
Yep, definitely getting colder by the day now, after a fairly ordinary summer :(
There's some big bluefin starting to show up though!

Roger

Welcome aboard from South Louisiana. There's lots of good information and good people on here........
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

Irish Jigger

Welcome aboard Tim from the Emerald Isle where it's starting to warm up.  What size do your BFT run and how do you fish for them?

Bryan Young

Welcome Tim.  Have a great time here and contribute when you can.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Norcal Pescador

Welcome to the site, Tim, from Northern California (not Caledonia ;D ).
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

alantani

welcome!  yockman is from tasmania as well.  i know it's a big country, but figured there's a chance you might know him. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Strata

Quote from: alantani on May 05, 2011, 05:33:27 PM
welcome!  yockman is from tasmania as well.  i know it's a big country, but figured there's a chance you might know him. 
Not personally, no, but I have seen his name on a local fishing site here...www.tightlinestasmania.com.au
Australia is a big country, but Tasmania is a small state, and an island to boot. It does seem at times that everybody knows everybody else, whether it be directly or indirectly lol