Rod Clamp

Started by Gman_WC, May 05, 2011, 02:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gman_WC

I have a few of my old and flea bay reels I've bought and fixed up.
Some did not come with a rod clamp/foot or with a undesirable metal cut /scratch stock ones with screw ends exposed.
I've found a good replacment for them ( example and not plugging the site)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150596241784&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
As an example I have a nice little Jig501 that has round holes on the foot/clamp (30-49) under the reel.
The screws in the above attachment (kit) are squared under the round head. So I'm trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.
My question is would it just be easier to buy regular round screws rather than drill on my existing rod clamp?
I'm sure the screws being squared under round head are to keep them from rotating, but I'm not going to the rail for 300# tuna with the 501!
Your thoughts please. -gary
Walnut Creek, CA

Alto Mare

Gary, for that 501 you will need part #33C-49, it is a kit with clamp,studs and nuts still available at Scott's for around $11. The 501 is a narrow stand, a standard Jigmaster is part# 33-200 and won't work on the 501. If you already have the rod clamp for that reel and just need the studs, you can use any studs on the narrow stands(not the studs from larger reels) all you have to do is to file down the head of the stud on one side so that it will seat flush to the stand, the full head won't work. The kit is already made to work with that.

Scatch the #33C-49, Gary, I just went to double check one of my narrows and the 33-200 works, but my narrows are converted with Accurate kits. I'm pretty sure the 501 is similar though.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

that's a great price!  for the 501, i would either go without a clamp or grind down some stainless steel bolts to fit.  the square part of the the carriage bolt will get in the way. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Ok Gary, I read your message too quick, if the 501 stand is stamped 30-49 you will need the part # 33C-49 and it will work with no problems. The 33-49 is hard to get, I'm going to recommend that you grab a couple from Scott's , at $11 a kit you can't go wrong.
There is only a few Penn reels that will take the the 33-49 rod clamp, most of them, up to the 113H will take the 33-200. If you need help with other clamps just let us know.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Gman_WC

I think I'll look for some replacment screws for the new rod clamp. Screws the same size without the square
can't be that hard to find and a heck of a lot easier than replacing the foot with round holes.
Thanks for the ideas. -g
Walnut Creek, CA

Alto Mare

Gary, I don't think  anybody has recommended to change the foot on that reel. You could get some posts and nuts at your local hardware store, they would probably cost you a buck for the pair. Keep in mind that if you chose stainless steel posts and nuts it would probably cost you $5. Whichever you chose, you will still need to file down one side of the head on the post so that it will seat properly on the foot. The round holes on your 501 foot are very close to the edge, that is why you need to file the head of the post.If you use the reel for saltwater fishing, I would go with aluminum posts or stainless steel, zing plated posts will corrode quickly. The kit from Scott still looks good to me, or just go without a clamp.

Just checked with Scott's, they do have just the screws available for about a buck a piece, if you needed the nuts and wing nuts $3.95 a piece. Part # 33-49

alantani

gary, i can remember if it's a 10-32 or 8-32 thread.  get some stainless steel panhead phillips machine screws.  you will have to grind away part of the head to get it to fit but it will work quite well.  honestly, though, with a 501 i would not use a clamp. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: alantani on May 06, 2011, 06:58:56 PM
gary, i can remember if it's a 10-32 or 8-32 thread.  get some stainless steel panhead phillips machine screws.  you will have to grind away part of the head to get it to fit but it will work quite well.  honestly, though, with a 501 i would not use a clamp. 
I think the stock Penn rod clamp screws are 10-24. All of my clamp hardware (except the clamp) is 10-32 stainless steel. Like Alan said, pan head phillips screws, regular or nylock nut to secure to stand and either wingnut or nylock nut to hold the clamp. The s/s screwhead can be filed easily like Sal said so it fits against the stand lip. Whatever you use, lightly grease the threads and hidden surfaces to block saltwater.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Gman_WC

Thanks for the suggestions. -g
Walnut Creek, CA