114H problem. No anti reverse

Started by 1badf350, April 10, 2017, 12:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1badf350

Guys first please forgive my ignorance and inexperience. This is more of a thread for venting my frustration. I recently purchased a 114H from the big auction site. Seller did not disclose in the listing that the anti reverse didnt work. With a bunch of jiggling it might work once.
Anyway, i took this thing apart to see if i could see any obvious problems. I couldnt see any. Took the bridge out, checked out the dog, spring, and so on. Mind you this is the first time I've ever taken a conventional reel apart. For the life of me i couldnt get the darn thing back together. After a few choice 4 letter words and alot of trying, it finally went back together. But the problem still persists. Who knows if the drag stack went back in properly. Probably not. Oh and the drag washers are like rubber or something.
The dog spring is a very thin strip of spring steel, not a coil spring.
Anyway, im about to give up on it and use it as a paper weight.

PS: I did read the assembly tutorial posted here, and I was thinking "man I got this". My reel does not want to cooperate.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

sdlehr

Well, I'm not sure how to help. If you want to send the reel to me I'd be happy to assemble it for you. If you want help doing it yourself we need to start with pictures, or at least a description of where you are having problems.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

1badf350

Thanks Sid,
The problem is, I dont know what the problem is. The reel is fully assembled now, but anti reverse still doesnt work.
As far as sending it out, I'm seriously considering doing just that.

-Chris
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

Keta

The spring might need to be straightened out a bit and check to see if the gear sleeve is a left hand one
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

foakes

Good morning, Chris --

Welcome...

Sid is one of our experts -- so he can assemble it well.

Generally, with no Anti-Reverse -- it can be traced to the dog.

-- Most likely culprits would be just a dirty dog area, so that the dog will not operate freely.

-- Spring also needs to be bent back a little so that there is more pressure on the dog.

-- worn or gouged dog

-- gummed up bridge dog screw, dog, due to old grease

-- improper assembly where the dog is stuck under the main gear -- or installed backwards -- not clicking on the ratchet sleeve

-- maybe someone else before you, tried to fix something improperly, or used the wrong parts

There is a trick to these -- but after a few tries, and just a little experience -- you will get it easily.

I know expert and experienced reel mechanics who will not touch a conventional reel -- but can assemble a spinning reel (more complicated) in no time.  And vice-versa for conventional guys who prefer to not do spinners.

If it were on my bench, it would get a complete disassemble, degreasing, cleaning of all parts, new under gear Delrin washer, replacement of fiber drags to CF's greased with Cal's, lube with Marine grease and Synthetic oil, reassemble, and good to go.  Plus maybe a new dog and spring.

It is a simple, bulletproof, and capable reel to work on and use.

Don't get frustrated --

We got your back...

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

sdlehr

As Fred said, too much grease on the AR dog will also keep it from functioning properly. That is probably the most common culprit when all is assembled properly but the AR isn't functioning.

Lets start here. When you turn the handle, do you hear the click of the AR dog on the ratchet? Is it regular? Loud or muffled?

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

akfish

It is very easy to put the dog in upside down so that it doesn't catch the teeth on the gear sleeve.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

mo65

Quote from: foakes on April 10, 2017, 01:07:55 PM

-- gummed up bridge dog screw, dog, due to old grease

-- improper assembly where the dog is stuck under the main gear -- or installed backwards -- not clicking on the ratchet sleeve

-- maybe someone else before you, tried to fix something improperly, or used the wrong parts

Welcome to the site Chris...hang in there...you'll get it sorted out...some reels just demand a little more of your time...and sanity! I've highlighted three of Fred's suggestions that have been issues for me. Once you get the mystery solved just make sure that spring returns nice and crisp...and lube the dog and spring with just a squirt of oil...grease tends to slow the action down. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

thorhammer

Welcome! It will be something simple and you'll have a beast that will last for decades.

John

1badf350

It makes the normal light click sound when the handle is turned forward. It also makes the same sound when you turn the handle backwards. The dog spring, to me, feels weak...but that may be normal.
Im going to give it another try this week, focusing on all the suggestions posted here. If it still doesnt work, i will have to send it out.

What about the "rubber" looking drag washers? Is this normal?
-Chris

mo65

Quote from: 1badf350 on April 10, 2017, 02:32:46 PM

Ahh yes...the rubbery drag washers. I asked this same question when I first showed up here. Those are the original leather washers squished and burnt to a rubbery looking disc. A new set of carbon fiber washers will yield much better results.
  I'm trying to remember if I ever had a dog click in both directions yet not have any anti-reverse. It kinda sounds like an upside down mounted dog, I'm sure someone will have the answer soon. :-\
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Bryan Young

Quote from: 1badf350 on April 10, 2017, 02:32:46 PM
It makes the normal light click sound when the handle is turned forward. It also makes the same sound when you turn the handle backwards. The dog spring, to me, feels weak...but that may be normal.
Im going to give it another try this week, focusing on all the suggestions posted here. If it still doesnt work, i will have to send it out.

This sounds like the dog is installed upside down.

Another culprit is that the dog may intermittently get stuck on the edge of the under gear washer.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bill B

Where abouts are you located.....Maybe there is a member close by....Bill, sacramento and riverside, ca
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

1badf350

-Chris