Penn Drag Size?

Started by Gman_WC, May 05, 2011, 02:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gman_WC

Does anyone have a link or know where I can find a chart or picture showing the different penn drag sizes together?
I'm curious as to drag washer to side plate ratio.
I opened a 209 and did a clean/grease for a friend.
Talk about small drags for a reel running 30#.
-g
Walnut Creek, CA

Bryan Young

I'm not sure what you are asking for, but here's a link to the drag washer sizes.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=21.0  Some reels comes with 3 drags in the main gear and some with 5.  It all depends on the stack height and the depth of the main gear.

Regarding the 209, I believe it was designed to be a 20# reel, and you should get 8# of drag.  That could be sufficient for 30# line depending on what you are fishing for.

Hope this helps.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Gman_WC

Bryan, I'm looking for "chart or picture showing the different penn drag washer sizes together" as a visual.
I'm trying to compare reel (side plate) size to drag washer size.
A 209 and a 112 have about the same size side plates, but drag size is about two times larger in the 112.
I know every reel has its purpose and was looking at comparing the two.
-g

Walnut Creek, CA

alantani

i could make you one, but i am absolutely swamped right now.  i have all of the drag washers and nearly every side plate that penn made.  you're talking about an entire afternoon to do the measurements and shoot the photos.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Alan, is that why you have all off those sideplates next to your work bench?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Gman_WC

It's okay Alan, I know your a busy guy.  ;)
I was just wondering if there was a link or picture that someone had posted here before.
What I'm really looking for was to find the largest drag to side plate ratio in a Penn or the
most drag for reel size. -g
Walnut Creek, CA

alantani

hey, i don't need a chart for that!  it would be a tossup between the jigmaster 501 and the senator 113hn baja special.  these two reels give you the most sideplate for your money.  the only others that come close are the old 970, 980, 990 mags.  awesome reels!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Gman_WC

Thanks Alan. I noticed the 501 has fat little drag washers.
I did a rebuild (your jigmaster tutorial made it easy) on a newly aquired flea bay 501 reel a few weeks ago and it got me
thinking about this idea. After doing a drag replacment and cleaning on a friends 209, the drags seemed so tiny for
side plate size. I'm looking hard at the Baja 113HN and think your right on being a best in class.
I really like the narrow penns 113h, 146, and 501. -g
Walnut Creek, CA