thinner spectra

Started by alantani, May 05, 2011, 09:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

looks like the makaira 8-II will be coming out just in time to take advantage of these new thinner spectras.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/honeywell-introduces-new-ultra-thin-fiber-for-high-performance-fishing-line-121153404.html

Thinnest Spectra® fiber available helps enable smoother casts and better catch detection

MORRIS TOWNSHIP, N.J., May 3, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Honeywell (NYSE: HON) announced today that it has introduced a new ultra-thin Spectra® fiber for high-performance fishing line, offering all the high strength and stretch resistance of Spectra fiber in a slimmer profile that enables smoother casting and better line sensitivity to fish bites.

The new product, which is 25 percent thinner than previous Spectra fibers, will allow manufacturers to develop new, high-performance fishing lines that offer serious anglers more capability than lines made with today's thicker fibers. The thinner fiber will allow fishing line manufacturers to braid more fibers into a single round line, resulting in a product that glides more quietly and easily during casts, and helps anglers improve their ability to detect fish on the line.

"Spectra fiber has been a trusted name in fishing line for decades, and this thinner fiber will help our customers meet demand for fishing line that offers the strength of thicker lines with the improved casting and sensitivity of thinner lines," said Chris Miller, marketing manager for Honeywell's Advanced Fibers and Composites business. "Fishing lines made with thinner fiber can help anglers cast and catch fish with greater ease."

Fishing line containing Spectra is four times stronger than nylon fishing line of a similar diameter, and is highly resistant to chemicals and UV light. All Spectra products exhibit outstanding abrasion resistance, which helps fishing lines last longer.

Spectra fiber, which is pound-for-pound 15 times stronger than steel, is made from ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene using a patented gel-spinning process. The fiber is used in many industrial and recreational applications, including rope and lifting slings, mooring lines, hurricane-resistant panels for windows and doors, sail cloth, and security netting.

The fiber is also the foundation of the Spectra Shield® II line of ballistic materials, used in bullet-resistant armor for military and police personnel. Spectra Shield II products are used in some of the world's most advanced armor systems, ranging from bullet-resistant vests, breast plates, and helmets to combat vehicles and military aircraft.

Honeywell maintains an active Spectra fiber and ballistic material research and development program focused on meeting increased demand for its high-performance materials.

For more information, visit www.honeywell.com/spectra.

Honeywell Specialty Materials is a global leader in providing customers with high-performance specialty materials, including fluorine products; specialty films and additives; advanced fibers and composites; intermediates; specialty chemicals; electronic materials and chemicals; and technologies and materials for petroleum refining.

Honeywell International (www.honeywell.com) is a Fortune 100 diversified technology and manufacturing leader, serving customers worldwide with aerospace products and services; control technologies for buildings, homes and industry; automotive products; turbochargers; and specialty materials. Based in Morris Township, N.J., Honeywell's shares are traded on the New York, London, and Chicago Stock Exchanges.  For more news and information on Honeywell, please visit www.honeywellnow.com.

This release contains certain statements that may be deemed "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. All statements, other than statements of historical fact, that address activities, events or developments that we or our management intends, expects, projects, believes or anticipates will or may occur in the future are forward-looking statements. Such statements are based upon certain assumptions and assessments made by our management in light of their experience and their perception of historical trends, current economic and industry conditions, expected future developments and other factors they believe to be appropriate. The forward-looking statements included in this release are also subject to a number of material risks and uncertainties, including but not limited to economic, competitive, governmental, and technological factors affecting our operations, markets, products, services and prices. Such forward-looking statements are not guarantees of future performance, and actual results, developments and business decisions may differ from those envisaged by such forward-looking statements.

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

No wonder that there's so much spectra on sale now.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Nessie Hunter

Correct me if Im wrong, but wouldnt thinner Spectra just cut into itself and cause problems??
I go to larger Dia Spectra now for Backing to eliminate that problem...

I see the up side to thinner line of course, but in the case of Spectra, It does have that "dig in" problem with larger reels and drag pressure....

Would be great to put 30# backing (instead of 50#) on my Toro 60 and have 500/600 yards of it!!   But would it work with heavy drag or just end up a mess???
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

alantani

it has to be wound properly, and that's were even my local shop is failing.  say you have 80# spectra and you are going to use a 30% drag setting of 24 pounds.  to prevent this "digging in" problem, you have to find a way to set the tension on the bulk spool of line so that there is 24 pounds of "drag" on the spool.  a hassle for sure, but fishing super thin lines would offer some significant advantages.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bub B.

In the future I see a bunch of guys walking around with nubs on their hands. 

Alto Mare

Their fingers is not the only thing that would get chewed up :-\. I think I'll stick with my mono.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

ReelSpeed

Alan, even if they can wind it on the reel with the right tension, what happens when you fish and reel it in?  You will lose all the tension it was wound with and it could start to dig into itself.  How about a very small diameter hollow core spectra with an inner core of mono? I don't know.. I like the sound of smaller spectra, just would hate for it to be terrible to fish with. :-\ 
Reelspeed Reel Service & Repair
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562) 261-5190

Roger

I've either got get a new job that pays more or rob a bank. I do love my spectra but I just spent a $170.00 on a 1200yd spool of 60# JBHC and that won't even to begin to fill three reels.
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

wallacewt

might be time to put level winds that lay a large criss cross pattern across the spool.including game reels.just insure your fingers

Norcal Pescador

Is there a niche being filled that doesn't exist? Maybe I just don't get it, but why make Spectra that's even smaller than what's already out there? :-\
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

wallacewt

money!there is lots of things we buy for fishing that we dont need but want,and its not just about fishing.

Normslanding

Hi all, In late 70's during the testing of Kevlar the same questions were asked. As time went on Russ Izor switched to to spectra. some of the Kevlar issues were eliminated. Spectra proved to be a better product, for fishing. This new product will certainly bring up new issues, and old issues. The disparity in line size becomes a even bigger problem, both for knots, and splicing. I can not wait to get some. Just hope my eyes will be up to seeing a knot in 10lb.

jonnou

I have spooled spectra poorly before it didnt dig in but made a cool herringbone sort of patern and when i corrected it I had missed at least 10% of capacity.
tension is the key
Bigger is not always better :)
(Think I saw a picture somewhere on this forum?)

Keta

I base my Spectra selection on it's diameter not it's breaking strength so if I use the thinner for strength Spectra I will go up in strength.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

jonathan.han

google: monofilament compaction
raw instinct