Penn 330LD

Started by Tzer, April 13, 2017, 02:15:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tzer

With the weather the way it has been for the past week or so, decided it was about time I looked at a few reels that I have some issues with or just needed some servicing.
One in particular that has been giving me grief has been a 330LD in that it seemed stiff to wind with lever set at the strike position but when either backed off or completing in free spool was OK to wind. I completely stripped the reel (lever drags being much easier to work on than star drags) but couldn't not find anything that was obvious to being the problem. So cleaned all parts, greased & oiled and reassembled the reel and reset drag only to find problem still there.
In trying to ascertain what the problem could be all I could think of was the either the drag plate is binding on the drag washer (should the washer be greased or dry), a bent spool shaft (looks Ok) or is a bearing issue (all bearings seem fine) lastly is the cam follower worn too much?

Anyone able to offer up some suggestions as to cause & how to fix would be very much appreciated.

alantani

classic for a right main side plate (pinion) bearing!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tzer

Thanks for reply Alan.
Is this the bearing that sits inside the pinion drive plate (part #117)

alantani

https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/320ld.pdf

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Rancanfish

You're amazing Doc Tani.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.