What to do when your star backs off while fighting a fish

Started by sdlehr, April 13, 2017, 01:16:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

I'm thinking the original owner of this reel (as seen on the auction site) had a problem with the star backing off and decided to drill through the handle arm into the star to position a set screw. A spring washer might have been a better choice http://www.ebay.com/itm/Penn-Senator-fishing-12-0-Big-Game-Reel-Tuna-Shark-Marlin-1-/252862240225?hash=item3adfc395e1:g:GZAAAOSwls5Y7voD

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

mizmo67

What to do? Replace the sleeve and/or star since the threading is probably worn out.

Interesting solution, though.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

David Hall

Nicely drilled hole, even though it would never work.

foakes

With the condition of that reel -- it wouldn't matter what you do to it -- there will be other issues under the hood -- trust me...

It is just set up to be a meat-cranker.

"Drag?  You mean like that NHRA? -- I don't need no stinkin' drags -- I jes' keep crankin', then bait her up again"...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mizmo67

QuoteOrient the drag washers in the correct order.

Ah, yeah forgot to mention that one! Threads were the first that came to mind.

Quote from: foakes on April 13, 2017, 03:53:22 PM
"Drag?  You mean like that NHRA? -- I don't need no stinkin' drags -- I jes' keep crankin', then bait her up again"...

;D
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

enfish

That looks like the poor man's version of this AFTCO drag adjusting handle... just minus the ability to make drag adjustments on the fly

http://berinsontackle.com/products-page/1-reels/aftco-adjustable-power-handle-for-penn-fishing-reels-very-rare/

I'm not exactly sure what the AFTCO handle was for. Was it just to allow for one turn of the star drag adjustments during a battle to make it function as a quasi-lever drag? Did it work as intended? Does anyone know?

Bill B

Not sure if that would even be a parts reel.....what a shame.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

sdlehr

Quote from: OnoEric on April 13, 2017, 07:20:23 PM
That looks like the poor man's version of this AFTCO drag adjusting handle... just minus the ability to make drag adjustments on the fly

http://berinsontackle.com/products-page/1-reels/aftco-adjustable-power-handle-for-penn-fishing-reels-very-rare/

I'm not exactly sure what the AFTCO handle was for. Was it just to allow for one turn of the star drag adjustments during a battle to make it function as a quasi-lever drag? Did it work as intended? Does anyone know?
I'm going to guess that the design was to do just that - probably one would set the drag and then be limited to one turn to loosen the drag during the fight or tighten it at the end of the fight. Just a guess.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

UKChris

Quote from: Midway Tommy on April 13, 2017, 05:46:24 PM
Gotta smile @ the descript, though!  ;D

I had to laugh when I read that - cosmetic issues but fully functional and works as intended  ;D
If you can fix it to the rod...

RowdyW

By the looks of that reel I guess you would just tie it on with a rope.  :D :D The matching rod is probably a tree branch.  :D

echo8287

That guy should have drilled more holes in the star all the way around, then it would be adjustable. The mechanical engineer in me noticed that. David