Penn LongBeach 259

Started by Alto Mare, April 23, 2017, 09:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

The other day I happen to spot this little reel and noticed it could use some help, so I decided to grab it.
This is an old one:

As I cleaned the parts I found that the bridge post is thinner than the later models

So I decided to replace the bridge with the 3-99 chromed bridge

The plates came out nice and clean, but still dull

so I polished them up a little more

parts to the right were used for the upgrade

And here is the finished 259, ready to fish for another 80+ years

I love the way it turned out, I hope you do too.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

thorhammer

Great work, Obi-wan.  Not that there is any less coming from your shop. That's fantastic. I don't see the gears; did you keep stock? I know you put a carbontex underneath  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Dominick

Great stuff as usual Sal.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

reelrepair123

reel  beautiful  sal,  another great job, looks too nice to use.   harryk

mhc

Nice work Sal, that spool goes well with the newell bars and stand. Looking at the upgrade parts, it looks like you put a new pinion in - was the original one a 13-250 with 13 teeth?

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Bryan Young

Beautiful. I love that reel. It was my first surf casting reel.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Thanks guys!
Quote from: mhc on April 24, 2017, 12:33:13 AM
Nice work Sal, that spool goes well with the newell bars and stand. Looking at the upgrade parts, it looks like you put a new pinion in - was the original one a 13-250 with 13 teeth?
Mike
Good eye Mike, yes the original was the 13-250 and replaced it with the 13-500.
Scott's specs show 2.5:1 ratio, it is actually 3:1 ratio and I bunped it a little up to 3.3:1, but did it more for the reinforcement ring on top of the pinion.
Wai (Porthos) was one of the first member here that replaced pinions of the same size without the ring, with the ones having the ring on top...much stronger.
I kept the 5-60, because it looked good to me. I know some say to replace both at the same time, if they feel right to me I let it go, unless they're damaged.
I've also upgraded the drags with Bryan's " Ultimate Upgrades" kit, but the +1 under the gear is a Delrin :)
The 3-99 isn't easy to get I have only another left and it is for my personal use, but I'm thinking the 3-60 might work, maybe I'll give it a shot one day, if I decide to grab another.
And as you could see from the pics, lots of other goodies from our members here, that orange spool really looks sharp with the Newell black frame kit. This one actually looks better live.
Quote from: Bryan Young on April 24, 2017, 02:18:49 AM
Beautiful. I love that reel. It was my first surf casting reel.
I can see why. ;)

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mo65

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 24, 2017, 04:46:18 AM
I kept the 5-60, because it looked good to me. I know some say to replace both at the same time, if they feel right to me I let it go, unless they're damaged.

I have done the same. I'm sure there will be some mains and pinions that won't work smoothly together...but so far every time I've combined two "fine looking" gears they worked just fine. Great looking build Sal...that's a versatile capable reel! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

STRIPER LOU

Nicely done as usual Mr. C. That makes a sweet little reel!

...............Lou

sdlehr

Quote from: mo65 on April 24, 2017, 01:08:45 PMI'm sure there will be some mains and pinions that won't work smoothly together...but so far every time I've combined two "fine looking" gears they worked just fine.
Thinking about this, I think it is more likely this will be true with two gears (main and pinion) that have been previously used and worn. If either is new I'd suspect it more likely they will be a little rough playing together, at least at first.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

sdlehr

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 23, 2017, 09:53:10 PM

The plates came out nice and clean, but still dull so I polished them up a little more
Hey amico, nice job! I see what you did here. I learned a new trick over on the ORCA page. Might not be worth your while for one you are going to fish, but its what they're currently using on black sideplates to remove the surface discoloration and to shine them up. Simichrome Polish. I bought some off Amazon. It's made in Germany. Use it as a polishing compound or rouge. It is more permanent than black shoe polish, and not nearly as messy when done (no black fingertips). The more times you go over it the shinier it gets. It may not protect against further UV damage. This takes longer than the shoe polish method, but lasts longer as well. (The Simichrome also did an excellent job on brass).

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

coastal_dan

Neat piece Sal, Striper reel?
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Decker

Sal, beautiful stuff! 

Do you think you could you put a group of your reels on loan to the Franklin Institute?  I could take my kids (I'd enjoy it too.)  :D They love it when I leave reels lying around the house.

Alto Mare

Thanks guys!

Sid I do not use shoe polish on my plates, but that stuff you've mentioned sounds interesting.
I will grab a small tube of Simichrome and try it. Thanks!

Sal