ambassadeur 5000, schematic woes

Started by Backwater Outfitters, May 08, 2011, 04:44:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Backwater Outfitters

I am trying to find a set of schematics for abu garcia, ambassadeur 5000. The reel foot number is 037200. Would like to perform some upgrades if possible. The spool and shaft seem to be one piece. Was wondering if there was a replacement part were bearings could be installed.

Incidently it is red with a black spool.

alantani

it's in here, somewhere.....  http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/thumbnails.php?album=27

it might just be easier to call ambassaduer with the reel in hand and ask.  800-228-4272
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Backwater Outfitters

Thanks for the reply. I emailed them and waiting for a reply. Hopefully I will get some news soon. I am trying to make sense of the reel foot number ???.

Would like to fix this reel up. I only see one bushing that might be able to swap out with a bearing. Need to locate some c-clip pliers to remove the c-clip though.

alantani

with the reel foot number, ambassaduer will be able to tell. 

Roger

Here ya go, hope this helps. It appears to be a '72 model if it has a checkered foot and the spool bearings are 3 X 10 X 4's.

ABU Serial Numbers

Among the many questions people have about ABU reels, the most frequently asked ones would be the meaning of those numbers stamped on the reel foot. This number can usually tell the approximate age of the reel. In most cases, these number are not serialized or unique to each reel except for some limited edition models.  These numbers usually indicate the production code which can mean a different design, manufacturing process or material change. Associated with these numbers will be the year in which this code was implemented. (For example, 741120 would be different from 750030). There is no consistency in the way ABU number the reel foot but with a little experience combing servral other factors like design etc.. one can usually tell the approximate age. A useful rule which I learn from a tackle dealer in UK:

4 figure numbers   Found in 5000 De Luxes and 5000C Deluxes spanning early 1960s to 1970s   Smooth foot

5 figure numbers   Sometimes found in mid 50s record ambassadeurs and very early Ambassadeur 5000. Also found in reels made in the late 60s / early 70s especially the 5000C.   Smooth foot

6 figure numbers   Late 1950s to 1960s, numbers running from 1xxxxxx to 9xxxxxx. Found in early Ambassadeur 5000 and 6000 (ribbed sideplates)   Smooth foot

6 figure numbers   Late 60s / early 70s. Middle two digits indicating year. ie xx08xx - 1968   Smooth foot

1970s    6 figure numbers, first 2 or middle 2 numbers as read ie 71xxxx or xx71xx - 1971   Checkered foot

1980s    Same as 70s but usually first 2 digits ie 82xxxx - 1982    Checkered foot

Late 80s / early 90s   3 pair of numbers separated by "-"   Checkered foot

Late 90s   6 figures, usually the last digit. i.e. 060006 or 040006 refers to a reel made in 1996   Checkered foot

"Bearing Sizes for ABU's"

4XXX, 5XXX, & 6XXX     Axle Shaft             4x10x4

"  "       "   "           "  "       Worm Gear    3x7x3

Older 1pc Spool & Shaft
4XXX, 5XXX                                            3x10x4
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

borchcl

I have a similar project. Red 5000, purchased early 70's. Reel foot number 730802. I got a set of bearings from Dawn, 3X10X4. The old oilite bushing is 10mm (.393) O.D. and 4.1mm (.160) thick, BUT the spool shaft is 1/8" (.125) and will no way go into a 3mm I.D. bearing. Any solutions? Replacing the spool is not an option.
Thanks guys.
borch

Roger

ABU had a run on these reels several decades ago (a screwup in the machine) and it was cheaper at the to make bushings for the reels cause there were so many of them screwed up. I've got several of them here at the house. Here's the link to Boca Bearing and the bearing you'll need if you want to swap the bushings out. Myself, I just left the bushing in, there's really not that big a difference in casting distance as far as I was concerned, Good Luck.....

http://www.bocabearings.com/productdetail.aspx?ItemID=7927#7
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

Backwater Outfitters

Roger,
Wow, thanks a million. I still haven't heard back from abu garcia. But, I did go ahead and break the reel down and took the bushings out and calipered them. The dimensions you gave me were the dimensions I came up with also. The only difference was the id dimension. It measured 3.31mm. I am going to refine the spool shaft a bit to get them to fit. It isn't going to take much. Just need to be careful not to take too much :o.

By the way, I saw you mention boca bearings. That is were I ordered mine from. There is some pretty useful information there for the beginners like myself.

My reel foot is the checkered one. Thanks again for the info. It helped to clarify some things.

Ken_D

Hi, folks....off-size 3.X  x  10  x 4  bearings from Boca:  about 11.00 each, and only good with off-size type spools.  

Machine stubs of axles to 3.0 MM with a file and sandpaper: free. They need not be totally smooth...just so the bb fits inside. Enlist the services of a retired machinist to do this for you: a case of beer, or other equal spirit.   Now you can use much lower cost 3 x 10 x 4's any old time.

alantani

daniel, i did note that there is one abu bearing with an odd inside diameter.  it did not match any of the metric or inch bearings that i had.  i never persued it further.  you will have to talk to ambassaduer on this one. 

or it might have been a bronze bushing........

conniek

thanks for breaking down the reel foot code. I've been in this biz a long time and for the life of me could not keep up or understand their numbers on bottom of reel foot. I remember asking a warranty center a question and had the reel foot number, he rattled off immediately info about reel and said there nothing to it. Simple as pie! ha . I never did think so simple and forgot bout trying to figure out, i just always had the reel foot number when i had a question. Sure simplified my life. h aha thanks again
We offer training to those lucky folks who want to go into this exciting biz of rod and reel repair or learn how to repair their own reels. We also have a "Fishing Reel Maintenance" video on the market today.Come learn the biz and makes lots of money. :) maybe not.
Gary Yamamato staff for over 10 y

Ken_D

Hi, Connie.....How are things at the Lake? I have very detailed info on the Abu numbering system, as used today.
I sent a note to Nissa @ Purefishing, and she sent it to me.  It's a picture, with text as to how to interpret it.

I will get the info posted in the Abu section, here at Alan's once I learn how I take jpg's, and get them into a format I can post here.

I have this info posted at Mike's Reel, for some time now... I have not had a chance to get to Alan's too much, but that's changing. If you bing/google/yahoo/momma  abu frame code revealed, it should pop right up.  I am beginning to love Shimanos....but just the Calcuttas so far. We have the 400 and the 700 locally. Stay well....KD.

Ken_D

Quote from: danielmcharron on May 08, 2011, 06:16:12 AM
Thanks for the reply. I emailed them and waiting for a reply. Hopefully I will get some news soon. I am trying to make sense of the reel foot number ???.

Would like to fix this reel up. I only see one bushing that might be able to swap out with a bearing. Need to locate some c-clip pliers to remove the c-clip though.

Hi...Just pry it up and out with a small screwdriver as seen in those sets of 5 at the dollar store. I throw this style of clip away, and replace with a present day wire style retainer. Waaaay easier to re and re after that. re/re: remove and replace w/p/n 1116134 for a whopping 0.35 cents US money.