Mag 10 without anti reverse on/off lever

Started by hurt locker, April 24, 2017, 10:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hurt locker

A few months ago I purchase a Mag 10 and had to put it aside due to a family health situation. Recently I took it apart to do maintenance and noticed that it does not have the anti reverse on/off lever or the eccentric. At first I thought maybe it had Penn 9 side in it, but it hadn't been modified and it had Mag 10 gears and drag plates in it. Also the side plate had no place to fit the eccentric. It had old style drag plates in it, it did not have HT-100's in it. Because of the drag plates could it be an early model???Just curious if anybody has seen this before??? I have several Mag 10's and none are like this one.

Cor

I am somewhat confused here, so you can't get the reel in to freespool ?
What is the silver lever on the left of the top picture used for?
??? ??? ??? ??? ???
Cornelis

hurt locker

Sorry for the confusion. The reel is completely functional. Most Mag 10's have another small lever located around 7 o'clock that allows you to turn the anti reverse on and off and this Mag 10 does not have that lever. I just haven't seen any Mag 10's before that do not have the lever.

Tiddlerbasher

A knuckle buster lever? Like the 349 Master Mariner

Decker

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on April 25, 2017, 12:01:39 PM

Yes, it's the knuckle-buster hurt's talking about.  I have three Penn 10's, and two have that lever.   It is not essential, but I like it because in a strong current, I can have the clutch engaged, clicker on, and anti-reverse (knuckle-buster) off, to offer some resistance on the line, yet allow a fish to take some.  My guess is that the knuckle-buster is on older models; a lot of people don't ever use it.

hurt locker

Quote from: Decker on April 25, 2017, 12:11:56 PM
Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on April 25, 2017, 12:01:39 PM

Yes, it's the knuckle-buster hurt's talking about.  I have three Penn 10's, and two have that lever.   It is not essential, but I like it because in a strong current, I can have the clutch engaged, clicker on, and anti-reverse (knuckle-buster) off, to offer some resistance on the line, yet allow a fish to take some.  My guess is that the knuckle-buster is on older models; a lot of people don't ever use it.

That was my guess also, because of the style drag plates that were in it. I have a couple of Penn 310's that also have a similar set up. I never thought of using it like that in conjunction with the clicker. Thanks. Here is a pic of a Mag 10 that has the knuckle buster lever.

Gfish

One thing that got me confused was your use of the term "eccentric".  Usually, ona Penn it refers to the freespool clutch system(lever, screw, eccentric, spring, jack, yolk). Then if I'm not mistaken, the anti-reverse system consists of parts with that have names that'er different. There's alota diffrent terminology used to describe the same stuff on this forum though, and I'm an easily confused person.
Though it adds parts to to the reel(more confusion?) I prefer an anti-reverse("knuckle-buster")choice on all my reels, such as they offer on the Penn Squidders.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

MarkT

I didn't know anything other than Squidders had the 2nd lever to deactivate the dog.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

mo65

You have an early Mag 10 hurt locker...mine is one of these also. I copied this from a schematic:

NOTE ON EARLY REELS: Penn made about 2000 reels in 1984 without the direct drive feature.
In '85 they included direct drive and continued to do so until they went out of production.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gfish

Howdaya define "direct drive"?, I's thinkin it ment no free spool, i.e. when ya cast the spool & gear sleeve/handle both spin.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

hurt locker

Quote from: mo65 on April 25, 2017, 04:53:48 PM
   You have an early Mag 10 hurt locker...mine is one of these also. I copied this from a schematic:

NOTE ON EARLY REELS: Penn made about 2000 reels in 1984 without the direct drive feature.
In '85 they included direct drive and continued to do so until they went out of production.

Thanks Mo, I actually like it better because I tend to bump the lever. Also  2 of my other 4 Mag 10's I have had to replace the eccentric and the dog to get them working properly. Thanks Again.

mo65

Quote from: Gfish on April 25, 2017, 01:24:36 PM
There's alota different terminology used to describe the same stuff on this forum though, and I'm an easily confused person.

It's not so much our fault as it is Penn's...this same control is referred to as an "eccentric lever"
on the Squidder schematic...yet it's called a "direct drive lever" on the Mag 10 schematic!  :o
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gfish

Confusion gettin worse... So Mo, the Squidder "eccentric lever" and the Mag 10 "direct drive lever" both do the same thing on the perspective reels? And if so, what do they do? To me a Penn conventional is always put into freespool mode using the "eccentric system"and a very few have an added "anti-reverse system"which disables the dog and allows you to reel backwards.

I'm obsessin I know, but there's some irritating, time consuming confusion at times when reading real interesting posts.

Here's a real "probably go nowhere" idea:a sub-topic in the one of the sections on "terminology & definitions". Mabey in "General Procedures"?...
Gfish

Cor

Quote from: MarkT on April 25, 2017, 02:07:05 PM
I didn't know anything other than Squidders had the 2nd lever to deactivate the dog.
I think the old Penn 49 had that as well, it looked like a second eccentric lever.   I never knew what purpose it served.
Cornelis

oc1

It's a second little eccentric cam, but all it does is push the AR dog out of the way so there is no anti-reverse and the handle can turn backward. 
-steve