80 TW Frozen Screws

Started by PennDaddy, April 27, 2017, 06:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PennDaddy

Hello everyone!

I recently purchased a used 80 tw. I have been trying to remove the side plate screws and 3 of them are frozen solid. 1 is on the lever side at the end of the drag lever plate and the other 2 are on the other side. I bolt has been broken off and the other 2 screws are close to being stripped. The question is what is the best way to get these out? Heat then cold? Soak, soak, soak? A local machine shop said they could possibly get them out for me at a rate of 90 dollars per hour.  ??? All help is appreciated as I want to return this monster to glory.

thorhammer

try to soak in corrosion X for a few days. this works wonders. you may be able to get a screw extractor kit cheaply; does it have torx or slots?

PennDaddy

It has the slots. I'm disappointed I couldn't back them all out. They had a really old degraded grease on them. Soaking for 2 days now and no luck. I was hoping to try the heat method but don't want to damage or weaken the cast aluminum frame.

STRIPER LOU

You might try a good soldering iron. This way you can pinpoint the heat right to the head of the screw.

I have a D550 Weller and use it all the time on frozen screws. If they're really bad it may take several periods of heat and cool downs to get them to loosen up.

Good luck and let us know how you make out!

...................Lou

reel man

If you have soaked them then you might use an impact screwdriver to get them loosened up. 

alantani

my worst nightmare.  

our best results have been to torch the screw until it is red hot, then hit it immediately with freeze off aerosol spray.  don't worry about the frame, it will be fine.  it's just gonna smoke like crazy!  alternatively, grind down the fillister head with an end mill, pull the side plate off and grab the stud with channel locks, then hope you can muscle it off.  yeah, these are no fun!!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

Lou's soldering iron trick has worked most of the time for me -- but you need a good, hot soldering gun to focus the heat -- then ice it down with that freeze aerosol spray.  A couple of times should do the trick.

If not, there is no alternative except to drill and extract the screw.  You will need a solid mount and a drill press.

The extraction process will be accomplished by hand for safety and control -- with an easy out mounted on a "T" bar.

Nothing to lose -- and the only way if the easier ways fail, IMO.

This is the big risk on used aluminum frames that were not serviced properly by greasing the screws.

Good luck -- show us some pics.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

bill19803

i  have   a     50   sw   with   two foot   screws    that  are  frozen    and   wont budge.   Was  transferring      everything   to new  frame   from   randy  since old frame  is  bent.   MY     cure      for  this?  Hello  Scotts  i need  a   foot  and   4   screws  and   gasket. 

FatTuna

Worst case scenario, you could drill the heads off the screws. Because the side plates are so thick on internationals, you will have a bit of screw to grip protruded from the frame. Locking vice grips and twist them out. Has worked well for me in the past when all else has failed.

PennDaddy

Well I finally got a side plate off by grinding the last screw head off and there is some work that needs to be done. I am ordering some parts from Scott ' s website but can't find the drag washer for the penn 80 tw. Anyone know which it is?

handi2

When all else fails i use the drill press and drill the head of the screw using a dremel mill end bit. Its usually the head of the screw thats corroded into the side plate. Then get the side plate off. You can punch the rest of the screw out of the plate.

The stud comes out easy with heat and Kroil if even needed. The stud usually comes out by hand from all the previous heating and oiling.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

PennDaddy

The corrosion on these 3 screws is deep. The first one I started drilling out broke off near the bottom of the screw while trying to back it out.  >:( more soaking. But now I can at least apply heat from more angles having the frame exposed.

PennDaddy

Quote from: PennDaddy on April 28, 2017, 03:42:11 PM
Well I finally got a side plate off by grinding the last screw head off and there is some work that needs to be done. I am ordering some parts from Scott ' s website but can't find the drag washer for the penn 80 tw. Anyone know which it is?

It doesn't show a definite drag part for the 80 tw  anyone have any help?

FatTuna

https://www.mysticparts.com//images/pennparts/schematics/80tw.pdf

117DN-80T DRIVE PLATE (OUTER)
117AN-80T DRIVE PLATE (INNER)

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

PennDaddy