TLD 15 drag issues

Started by PRSD, May 02, 2017, 02:17:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRSD

I used my tld15 for the first time in 4-5 years on the weekend and found that i could only get 5kg of drag max. And that was hard to get the lever to sunset at that. It had been serviced by shimano aust and surposed to have new bearings in it, now the question is what would cause it to do it. Before the service it did not do it.
Outside not going into free spool once in a while not a problem.
Am going to do a disassemble and a look see to see whats wrong.
So feel free to throw some ideas at me

akfish

Did you just install new braided line on it? If so, odds are that the line is slipping on the spool.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

handi2

If everything is like it should be and no line slipping the last thing to check is the main gear itself.

If you look where the main gear is peened onto the shaft make sure it is still lined up. If it isn't the gear is slipping on the shaft.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

PRSD

No braid this time, just went 15kg mono. It is tired and taped to the spool so slipping.
The trouble is as the drag increases the lever gets hard to move. Just over 5kg it is hard nearly impossible to get to sunset.
Almost like the spool is being stopped from moving across.
So in we go and see whats happening inside.  As soon as i do I'll post what i have found

alantani

check the pinion bearing as well.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

handi2

This is what Alan tought me years ago.

When you increase the drag and the reel gets hard to crank its the right side pinion bearing. That will cure your problem.

The spool has to move freely back and forth. Make sure yours does. If its tight one way turn the spool around and try it again.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL