Reel Grease ?

Started by SierraBob, May 09, 2011, 09:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SierraBob

For over 40 years I have been using Penn Reel grease to keep all my reels functioning properly. I have been reading lately about Cal's Grease.  Does anyone know how well it compares to Penn?  I am very happy with the Penn grease but am curious about the Cal's.

Mooki

Personally I consider Cal's a complement to regular reel grease, not a replacement.
The reson is that Cal's is real sticky. I use it on the brake stacks and immediate surounding (main gear shaft), but not on gears or anything that needs to be able to move unhindered.
This is just a personal preference though, but I'd recommend keeping your regluar grease but for the brake stack (IF Carbon Tex or similar - otherwise you might as well skip it all together) :)
Something like 40 BCs, mostly ABU. Still counting upwards...

alantani

bob, when i open up a 40 year old penn, the smell of that old grease is very distinctive.  i recognize it immediately as the same grease my dad and i used in the tractors we had at the farm.  that actually WAS 40 years ago.  i was a teenager, then.  funny how some things have a way of jogging the memory.  and judging by it's texture and the way it hardens, i am certain that it is the same product.  so, 40 years ago, either we were using fishing reel grease in our tractors, or penn was using tractor grease in their fishing reel.  

as far as cal's grease goes, i use it just for drag washers.  i have seen shimano's teflon grease soak up salt and allow a bearing to corrode.  cal's teflon grease will probably do the same.  cal's teflon grease will also harden over time, which makes it less desirable for all purpose use. that's why i prefer marine greases that are specifically designed for saltwater use.  bottom line, there are many better products on the market today.  the new penn grease is fine.  let's get rid of the old stuff.

oh, and welcome!!!!!!!!!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!