Penn710 Greenie project

Started by Johnj67, May 06, 2017, 03:47:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnj67

Used to be a Greenie!! Pardon the sloppy drill work, but I still like it!

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Johnj67

Thanks Fred!! I really like the 710 side plate so much more than the z series

nelz

How did you remove the green paint?

Alto Mare

I looked, but not sure on what you're talking about. I don't see anything sloppy on that reel.
Great job!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Johnj67

Nels, Spray with oven cleaner, let sit for two hours, that helps lift off the green. Then wet sand with 400/800/1200 grit. Dremmel sanding wheel for tough spots. Wet sand with 1500. Hours later if I'm not happy, I use medium and fine sanding sponges and then Wet 1500 again.
   John

Johnj67

Thank you Sal, up close the holes aren't perfectly spaced or perfectly round , I used a hand drill, but I guess I'm critical of my work. Thanks again Sal!
        John

ReelFishingProblems

I didn't that wig a 704z and it's now one of my favorite reels. Went with slots and holes on the rotor. I used a dremel cutting wheel to carefully make the slots (connected two drilled holes) then filed them smooth. I didn't drill the spool, and I love your good spool, I will have to copy your idea, it will my match my good handle. I'm thinking of putting a gold power handle on the end, but that's for later down the road.

I found that when the reel is highly polished it doesn't need clear cost, just a good rinse and dry off with a towel after use.

I hope you love yours as much as I love mine

Oh it also got a drag insert from Bryan

Johnj67

Sounds beautiful, I think I might need a bearing, not sure, works good but feels like a have a rub although I don't see one, or maybe a grain of sand in the bearing? Weird.Maybe I'm just anal.

Johnj67

Just cut the bail and sanded it with a dremmel stone and some 1500 grit. That's my first PUM.

coastal_dan

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Johnj67

Thank you Dan!

John

Decker

NICE WORK!  I like the silver and gold color scheme.   

BTW, I've often wondered if the Penn green had something in common with the older Philadelphia Eagles uniforms.   

STRIPER LOU

Excellent work John! I have 2 of them stripped and that's as far as I got on them. Its on the list though! ;D

................Lou

Johnj67

Thanks guys
   I'm hooked!!