Penn 50 SW

Started by rodcandy, May 06, 2017, 04:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodcandy

Yep, Preset was frozen solid. Forced it with channelocks now it spins free..
what broke? Thanks guy's

PennDaddy

Do you have a pic of which know you are referring to? I assume you are talking about the drag lever, but I know where that gets us.

rodcandy

Refering to the "Preset" drag
It spins free
Something broke inside
Trying to figure out what that part is
Thnx

Tightlines667

Its likely that the preset knob itself broke.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

josa1

There's a small, screw driver type, piece on the inside of the preset knob that fits into a slot on the adjustment cam adjustment screw.  You probably just broke that off.  Only way to fix is to replace.

Probably a good idea to take the reel apart and find out why the preset adjustment screw is jammed up.

josa1

rodcandy

Okay
The Reel sat for 2 years was not properly rinsed and the preset was frozen solid.. what other parts would be affected do you think?.. a tear down will reveal it but was just curious.. Thanks again you guy's

rodcandy

Anyways.. after studing the drawings it's most likely that the 2 bearings were frozen and forcing the knob to spin sheared something..
I'm not confident enough to do it myself..
Im told its over the 100. mark + parts to have it done...:(
Thnx

handi2

It shouldn't be more than $60.00 rebuild that reel. It may be very clean inside.

That's if the spool spins freely.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

rodcandy

Spool is free and smooth
Shifts into both gears great
Yes that's what I was hearing plus another 40.
for shipping back and forth... and...
Thnx

rodcandy

If anyone wants to consider trading a re build on it for a new rod I would consider it.
Send me a PM thnx

josa1

What kind of rod?  I'm looking for a 765m graphiter 40-100 pound rod with ceramic insert ring guides and a few other things.  I would gladly trade a complete overhaul, bearing repack, and include whatever "minor" parts are required for that. Would include cash as you saw fit.

You can P M me with your thoughts.  Could you flat rate mail the reel to 90731?

josa1