Shimano Calcutta 50 feels a little rough

Started by dbeam, May 17, 2017, 06:58:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbeam

I recently acquired a Calcutta 50. It has some boat rash, and had some corrosion beginning around the reel foot. I took it apart and cleaned, put it back together and everything works pretty good.  I does still have a (1) rough feeling and sound when I cast it, (2) if I reel up to the tip I have to let some pressure foo by pulling the drag to get the thumb bar to work, and (3) the drag is a little jerky to get started.

It appears to have bushing instead of bearings, the washer look like some type of paper/card stock.  I would appreciate any suggestions on bearing or darg upgrades, as well as any other info on this reel.

Thanks
Darrell

JRD

1.  Probably bearings.  It will have a bearing on the left side plate "clicker side" if it had a clicker held in by a small wire.  You have to remove the spool to get to it and a bearing under the spool tension control cap on the crank side plate.  The spool itself will have a grey plastic bushing.

2.  Normal with many calcutta.  If you have pressure on the line / spool the thumb bar is often sticky.

3.  The drags are a blond colored felt / paper looking thing.  Pat dry on a paper towel then re grease with Calstar or Shimano grease.  If you want more then change out to Smooth drag carbonex drags greased.

Hope that helps

oc1

If you want to replace the bushing and bearings, you will need:
1 each 3 x 10 x 4 mm
1 each 3 x 7 x 3 mm
1 each 5 x 11 x 4 mm

I'm using ceramic hybrid bearings run dry.  Most would use oiled stainless steel.  Don't get chromed.  Boca Bearings and other distributors. 

Drag washer is 22 mm outside diameter and 9 mm inside diameter.  I replaced with carbontex but cannot remember the thickness.  Either 0.5 or 1.0 mm

Keep an eye out for some tiny O-rings to go under the three thumb screws on the head plate.

Take good care of the thumb bar assembly and do not force it.  There are no replacement parts and once it gone, it's gone.
-steve

dbeam

Thanks Guys, I really appreciate the info.

Darrell